1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building the perfect all around gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well in a pursuit to build a gun for all disciplines (Trap, Skeet, Sporting, Bunker, etc) I may be close.

I started with a older Beretta 682 Sporting w/ 30" flat rib choke tube barrels. These barrels came with a full set of fitted Kolar sub-guage tubes. The gun also has a nice factory parallel combed stock. I recently added a set of 32" low step-rib trap O/U barrels with fixed chokes. While recoil is pretty light for a gun that weighs just a tick under 8 lbs, I'm going to add one of Ken Ruckers "Bump-Busters" here shortly to finish out the gun.

I'm not an exceptional shooter by any means, but so far it has worked out well. The only thing I have yet to try is Bunker, and that is going to happen soon.

One of these days, I hope to do a similar project utilizing a Kolar. That will have to wait until I have a bit more disposable income.

Life is good!

ec90t

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Jim.

That was my original impulse to build it. One gun for everything just appeals to me.

ec90t

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I like the idea but I find it difficult shooting doubles or second shot bunker with a single barrel. Still, its a good thought but what excuse would I have to buy more guns?

Big Jack

4. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I started this dream many years ago of building a one gun target machine. I purchased a 12 gauge and then that one didnt work so i purchased another gun. After that one didnt work i purchased another one. About 20 years later and lots of guns later i still have not found that one gun. Still to this day my wife thinks every new gun is the same gun i always had. At least thats what i tell her.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

One gun can never do everything, great. But, one gun can do everything OK---the 1100. Just look around at every shotgun sport. Lots of 1100's everywhere.

6. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

If K-80's were cheap there would be alot of them around too.

7. johara1

johara1 TS Member

thats what i did,k-80 sporting replaced the wood with a 1-b stock with adj. comb.ext.choke tubes.turned turned spacers for the comb to set the hight i needed for the diff.games,trap,doubles trap,skeet and sporting clays....jim

8. johara1

johara1 TS Member

thats what i did,k-80 sporting replaced the wood with a 1-b stock with adj. comb.ext.choke tubes.turned turned spacers for the comb to set the hight i needed for the diff.games,trap,doubles trap,skeet and sporting clays....jim

9. johara1

johara1 TS Member

10. johara1

johara1 TS Member

11. johara1

johara1 TS Member

12. johara1

johara1 TS Member

13. johara1

johara1 TS Member

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Eric, Sounds like a good match up. I have taken the easy approach. Sx-1 with an extra set of posts for the comb. I have a high rib barrel for trap and a 30 inch choke tubes field barrel for everything else. That is the theory anyway. I have enough Actions that I usally leave the high rib with the high comb set up and use a straight trap stock on another action with the 30 inch barrel. Thanks goodness we don't have to make these one size fits all guns unless we need or want to do it. Jeff

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jeff,

It's funny how our mind thinks and rationalizes things.

ec90t

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Have you guys checked out Blaser guns? The one gun thing is the big sales pitch for these shotguns (and rifles).

17. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I thought he stuttered.

18. finger

finger TS Member

I built the "all around" gun 2 years ago. Started out with a Krieghoff 32 frame, added a k80 semi light barrel 30 inch with Briley tubes for skeet; a 32 inch o/u barrel for bunker and trap doubles and a 32 inch top single for ata trap. Added custom wood (search the archives for pix) with adjustable comb. It does well at everything. Not cost effective by any means but I did not build it to make a profit. It was a fun project but I'm back to shooting skeet with the Kolar and sporting with SX-1's. bob finger

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Browning already did it for you years ago....Citori Plus...I shoot one for everything and it excels in each sport...never continues to amaze me how great and versatile they were..So much so that i have 5

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

No such thing. I gun per sport. Tuned for each sport. Now a very talented/natural shooter can adapt and use one gun and shoot well with it. But not many out there. I had a Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition that I shot both Trap and Sporting Clays with. Never tried it with skeet. Probably as close as I've ever had to a "all around Gun" Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.