1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Ones Own Recoil Reducer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thought I would post one of my newest projects here on TS.com. This time was building my own recoil reducer, as you can see in the pictures below. During the time of building this, I have a new found respect for people such as Ken Rucker who build and install these units and make them look GOOD. But, mine was just going on a cheapo over/under that I plan on using for sporting clays this year. I also cut, built and installed the comb hardware myself. First time for that, so the comb cut isn't all perfect like it should be. I have no intentions of building and installing anymore of these things in the near future, just a fun little project/experiment. After all, I've got maybe $50 in all of the aluminum, the shock absorber and the hardware (screws and such). Enjoy the pictures.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    Josh

2. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Thinking out of the box, way to go....GOOD LUCK

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Josh: You seem to have a good talent for making mechanical gun related stuff. I'd like to know a little about you you. How about telling us a little about your background and history. I traded lead for shot last fall with Dave Smith dba: Jolly Trapshooter. What relation to you would that be to you? Excellent shot by the way! Dave P

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I tried this recoil reducer out today it worked like a charm. The gun that used to kick like a mule, now feels like nothing. I can't even tell that I shot it. So I'm pretty happy about how well it works, and will put it through the true test next week when I shoot sporting clays with it.

Dave, you must have me confused with someone else. I've never traded shot with someone over the internet, we just do shot locally. I DO run the "leadtradingpost" website to help others find shot and lead, but try to avoid the trading shot by mail thing.

Most people here on TS.com know that I am 18, and an avid trap shooter. I'm in high school, but am currently taking a college level machining class at the local tech school for half days. I will be graduating high school this year, and going on to be a full time machining/tool and die student at the same tech school. A friend and I have started our own shop with a Bridgeport mill and a South Bend lathe. We make mostly snap caps and try to make ribs, but there doesn't seem to be a huge market for those right now. So really, we just try to get small job shop type work or build things for the fun of it, like this recoil reducer. We're always thinking up new things to make or build or do to something else and if we find it's something useful, will normally post it on the website. We just purchased a used P/W reloader and are planning on remaking anything that doesn't meet expectations. So I'm sure there will be some P/W parts coming onto the website soon. Hope I didn't bore you, LOL. Josh

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I would really like to know where you bought the shock absorber, the rest I can handle.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Bought it off of "Feebay". It was cheap as it's not adjustable, but was what I needed for this gun, and this particular project. Didn't want to put a whole lot of money into an experiment that was going to be screwed to the back of a cheapo over/under. If I would have felt like spending more money, I could have gotten a little stiffer absorber that was adjustable. But again, I didn't want to spend that much money. But either way, the springs on the 2 dowels make up for what the absorber lacks. Hope this helps, Josh.

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Yes it does Help Josh Thanks

9. bigk

bigk TS Member

Young man you have a bright future.Stick at it, well done.PITY YOU DIDNT LIVE OVER HERE.

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.