1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a shot maker any tips?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bowhunting11, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

im gonna build a shot maker i sorta know what to do can any one help me? ive got a suply of lead! any info is helpfull!

Jackson

2. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

What kinda stuff do i need to get?

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Do a search on shot making, lead shot making or any way you can think of saying it. Look on youtube for videos for idea's. If you do make one make it a 220 volt system.

4. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Dont laugh at me cause im still brainstorming.... but i was just thinking about building like a pan thing on the factory shot makers. and having a probain heating system.. but my biggest things is how far does this thing have to sit of the ground? what do i drill to make the shot.. like what size of drill bit and what do i drill into!

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

You have a PM

Danny

6. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Thanks Danny

7. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Thanks Danny!

8. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Id like to try an build one myself before i buy one unless its pretty darn cheap!

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

make sure you have good ventilation.The melting of lead releases toxic fumes that can be deadly.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think you need to find one to look at before you start this endeavor.

11. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

I've got that covered.. What size of drill bit do I need for 7.5... An 8 shot

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I'm working on a tower right now. My problem is the area that I'm using now has round hale bales in it. My tower is 25 feet high and I might go higher to 30 to 32'. With small shot you can use shorter towers. 5, 4 and up yes you have to have higher much higher towers.

With the smaller shot you can use the shorter towers and watch the air temp. To cold it will harden to fast. To hot it will not harden fast enough. You will then end up with popcorn shot. You just have to watch and write down the temp per pour till you know what temp to look for when making shot.

When I tried to make shot by dropping it I had to move the barrel out from the shotmaker by 3 to 4 feet. That was how far the shot rolled off the maker. I still have to refine things but that is what I have come up with. Let us know how and what you do. Good luck.

13. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

im gonna try an drill through the melted lead holder anf put a big bolt through and drill through that with proper size? Sound pretty good?

14. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Jackson

I have built my own shot maker. I used a heating element out of an old stove. I made a lead pot out of plate steel and bolts drilled out for drippers. The trick to drilling the bolts for me was to drill them out from the back side with a larger bit like a 1/4" until just before they broke through then use your number drill to finish. I think it was a #71 drill bit. Buy a few and run them extremely fast. The bit will be about the size of a wire from a wire brush. The type of lead, heat of the lead, heat of the coolant, type of coolant, distatce from ramp to coolant, angle of ramp, length of ramp,coating on ramp are all critical to making good shot. The slickest machine I have ever seen was made by a guy on here that goes by the tag chipmaker. he has a youtube video that has a title of shotmaker 400 lbs per hour or something like that. In the shotmaking world it is the eighth wonder of the world. My hat is off to chipmaker.

After all is said and done, If you can work some overtime or do some odd jobs to earn about $500.00. You will save yourself a major headache by buying one from Mr. Stewart.

Brian "Robbie and Jake's Dad"

15. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Do u know if the metal sheet has to be lanted a certin way

16. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have made tons of shot literaly and I still wonder if I should quit. It is alot of work and my system works well at 150# an hour.

17. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

So ive heard! Im the kinda person that likr to build stuff so this well be fun if I dont just buy one

18. plinker611

plinker611 Member

me thinks this is a fishing expedition,bowhunter,do you have at least 500 lbs of wheelweights????thats what youll need to run through your "creating process",at least 10 times before you get close to making shot(please excuse my reply if you do have a very modern machine shop, bow h.)other wise your headaches are solved,buy a pre built unit,and we will help you with the other end,mark jones

19. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

I would buy a prebuilt one if I had the money seems these things hold there vaule at like 500 like at minimum. Mignt seem cheap to a oldet guy with a stedy job. Seems like a million bucks to a 15 year old savin for a truck!
    Jackson Miller!

20. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

That also loves to shoot 500 plus a week!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gonna build a shotmaker

lenth of ramp on shot maker