1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a new patterning board/POI board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Capt_ed, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

Dec 26, 2009
    We want to build a new board at are club and what we were thinking was, we have a 4 foot square peice of steel that we would suspend between 2 steel posts. Wondering if there is a preferred height for the center of the plate. Also if we hang cardboard to do the patterning does the shot bouce back thru the cardboard or just fall from the steel plate.

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Duncan, SC
    Capt ed,

Instead of putting something in the center of your plate, put a piece of number 9 wire across the plate at about 16" from the bottom or any height that you like. I have found that most trap shooters want their POI above their line of sight. Skeet shooters can put the wire where they like.

Don't mess up the board by putting a permanent mark on it. The number 9 wire can be seen at a long distance.

Ron Burdick
  3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    If I was building one I would not use any steel. Make a framework of PVC plumbing pipe or wood 3 l/2 by 3 l/2 foot square. make a box to hold a full roll of rosin paper that you can buy at Home Depot or local lumber yard. Its a heavy paper made to protect the floor your working on. put roll in box at waist level and pull up paper to the top of opening and attach. Fire your shot at center, cut off pattern paper and pull up new piece for another. When finished place paper roll back in shed/building. Make the framework stationary or portable for your needs. A wood box for the roll of paper will keep shots from peppering the new roll of paper. The rolls are like 3 feet wide and l70 feet long for less than ten dollars at the store. Best way to have a pattern copy, just keep the paper tight at both ends. Only when the rolls gets to the end will it not be heavy enogh at the bottom and it will need to be held in place. Hope this helps you out. No worries about the shot coming back at anyone. Break-em all. Jeff
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    X2 what Jeff said. I have seen some designs of these and they are pretty slick and portable. My second choice would be a grease board.
  5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Aug 26, 2006
    We have a steel pattern board, but we cut a circle out of the middle. We use butcher paper or similar, and magnets to hold the paper on the steel. I don't know the dimensions. But, this arrangement works well. You need a marker to mark the target, cross hairs, or a clay shape on the paper.

This way, the shot goes right through, you don't have to worry about bouncing shot.

If I go to the club this weekend, I will measure the thing and let you know.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Nov 3, 2007
    For a portable unit,get two pieces of 3/8" rebar 6-7' long. Sharpen one end on a grinder. Pound into the ground about 3' apart & use snap clothes pins on to the rebar/paper to hold things up. Use a 3' x 3' piece of cardboard for a backer. Body/auto glass shops have boxes you can cut to get the large sheets of backer cardboard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.