1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a gunpowder container?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Once in a while I need to move a few kegs of gunpowder. I have seen metal powder magazines for storage. I am considering building a container to increase my safety. On the National Fire Marshal's web site it says that the sides need to be at least one inch thick wood. No mention do I find of metal. Now, I know this group has posted plans from the best work bench to the best reloading room. Has anybody built a portable powder magazine? What would you do different? Must it be vented? What else would you include? I am not looking to make a large one but if I could carry the ones I move safer for a few bucks, it would be worth it. Call, write, send pictures, but no flames ..... not near the powder. Thanks Omaha <br> Here is a link to one that I found, combo of metal and plywood. <br>http://www.usexplosive.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDesc=N&ProductCode=ML802&PhotoNumber=2

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

Read the information on powder storage on powder jugs and powder maker web sites before you start building. They all say NOT to transfer powder to stronger containers or store it in cabinets or places that will allow pressure to be built up if the powder ignites. Powder jugs have built in weak points that allow the jug to rupture if the powder gets hot enough to ignite. They allow the powder to burn rather than explode. A guy at my club stores all his powder in small bottles in steel ammo boxes. If they get hot they'll turn into great big grenades. We told him about it but he says he feels safer like that. Guys braindead.

Andy

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

About 35 years ago I built my portable powder magazine from 3/4" furniture grade plywood. It wasn't 1" thick as required and quoted above, but it will last awhile before it burns through. The top is hinged to create a weak side and I put castors on the bottom. It works well.

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Find the National Fire Codes, they have very detailed specifications. The idea is that they insulate, then vent and they do not explode. The vent may sound like an explosion, but it is actually a pressure release. You do not want to be around either one of them, but a pressure release is much more "gentle". Your local Fire Dept can provide more information but they may be a little reluctant to enter your house in case of a fire. The stuff you have in your garage is probably a lot more hazardous than smokeless powder, but "gunpowder" makes them nervous.

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Most of them I have seen have no hinged lid. They have a cap that can be locked into place. Is that so that it can vent instead of exploding? Would closed cell styrofoam be a good insulator? I know what the limits are that I can transport at one time. I just want to see if I can transport it safer without raising the danger flag at my local fire station.

6. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Get a copy of Hogdons free loading guide it has complete detail on spacings and materials Jon

7. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Check out this site. Cabinets of many different sizes. All metal, insulated, vented. Up to most all codes. I used to be in the hazardous waste industry used the extensively. I'm up on all of the laws regarding storage and transport too.

Good luck,
    Shawn

http://www.newpig.com/en_US/main.jhtml?catId=2LHB1SAFETYCABINETSANDACCESSORIES&page=browse/capture.jhtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

building gunpowder storage container

gun powder box

gun powder storage container plans

gunpowder storage box

gunpowder storage box plans

gunpowder storage container plans

gunpowder storage containers

how to build a powder storage box