1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a doubles gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thinking of building a doubles gun, will get a basic 30" over and under tubed gun & will have Dennis Devault fit me & make a stock & forearm--now here is the question&-looking at the following---Beretta 682, Browning XT, SKB,Winchester Select---what are the advantages or disadvantages of these guns as far as actions, barrels & warranties are concerned---I don't care about factory wood or finish--will be making it release/pull----thanx --Phil

2. BigAl

BigAl TS Member

Of your list, the 682 is the top choice, especially if you intend to shoot a high volume. Number 2 would be the Browning, but you can wear them out. Forget the SKB & Winchester.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, you have to test its point-of-impact before you spend any money on it. There are lots and lots of over and unders which can't be made to shoot doubles and it would be a waste of (lots of) money to stock one with something really nice only to find out it is a loser.

Neil

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thanx Neil-one point to ponder , how can you test the POI on a new gun or a used gun prior to purchase---Hal Dupont is the only place that will loan out a try gun =, that I know off----Phil

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Copied from the thread about the 1 gun ya wish ya had back:

I had a DB81 O/U and I loved the high rib as it was just like my TMX. That gun must have been designed as a live bird gun because the bottom barrel shot just right but the top barrel shot low and I couldn't hit the 2nd bird with it. I got rid of the DB81 but I always wondered if I should have sent it to a real barrelsmith to fix the POI on the top barrel. I have rationalized that the POI was too far off for anyone to fix.

I didn't mention that the Top barrel also shot about 6 inches to the left. I spent good money on a new stock for that DB81 but I still couldn't shoot it and I took a beating when I finally got rid of it.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a used gun. And shoot it before you buy it. The advice above on POI does not make any sense to me. Everything depends on your way of shooting doubles.

In general you will want a gun whose first shot has a high POI because you want to shoot the first bird quickly and it will be rising. For the second shot you will want a flat shooting barrel because when you take the second bird it will probably be at its peak and no longer rising.

Over time the above advice can change because as you shoot more doubles you will get faster and will need changes in your guns POI inorder to center your hits. HMB

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Little Al" - what would you know? you say you go down to Krieghoff all the time--- now you are a Berretta person?

Give us a break and quit posting

hope you learn something

such as no one cares what you say

regards from Iowa

Gene

oh by the way- the gun you reccomend is used by very few shooters for the number that have been produced

whats your doubles average "little Al"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.