1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buh-bye GTO, hello Hyundai

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jamesquinn, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

Pontiac is dead. No more Super Chiefs, no more GTOs, no more Grand Prix, no more Firebirds.

John DeLorean created the GTO. American designed, Union built. For that he was paid one million.

Rick Waggoner destroyed GM. For that he was paid $200 million.

Capitalism at work.

Thank God I bought a last-year, '96 Fleetwood LT1. The rest of you can drive your KIAs and Hyundais. Eat my dust.

But, hey - twenty years from now you can check back. See what your '69 GTO is worth versus your '08 Hyundai. '08 Hyundai? Can you say Budweiser cans? LMMFAO!

Oh yeah - my name is James Quinn. I live in Pacolet, SC, and I shoot at the Spartanburg Gun Club. And YOU are? OICU812 from nowhere? LMMFAO!

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

James.. I drive a Ford 1990 E-350 Super Van.. It does its job well.. and we are old friends.. BUT I don't put 80,000 miles a year on my van.. If I did I would drive a 5 cylinder desiel MB van.. It is much larger.. and gets much better fuel milage.. All of my trucks have paid for themselves many times over so I'm not worried by what they will be worth 40 years from now.. I'll be dead anyway.. The American car and truck manufactures are,were,are still way to slow getting with the times. All of the car dealers break it off in your you know what.. once its out of warrantee.. Anyone who built a very simple.. you can fix it at home car/truck.. would make a MINT now.. Yet.. no one is even thinking about it. The other manufacturers are no better or worse.. We,as American waste.. and waste.. and waste.. When we were crying about $3.60 a gallon fuel.. it was over $6.00 in Europe..and has been for many years. Few of us will be around for the end of the planet as we know it.. God saw fit to bury everything that made our planet unlivable.. We keep digging it up and burning it..
    When I was a Georgia Tech.in the early 70's I was working on a project that converted a 4 cycle engine to 8 cycle.. The gas milage was fantastic and it met all emission requirements.. It was killed by the oil companies as they funded alot of research at Georgia Tech.. And so life goes on.. when greed of the big companies ends..and we all.. as a group consider the future of our grandchildren.. and not just our lives.. things might change. Until then..any good idea is a welcomed one. Regardless of who.. or where it comes from.. I welcome any response.. All Good.. Mike

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Is this the one you bought?

"1996 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD DEVILLE 5.7 351 LT1 MOTOR-BIG BODY NO RUST - $1900"

Rollin' Bro.

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

An 8-cycle engine? 4 intake and 4 exhaust strokes? Can you share any info on how this worked?

Thanks!

Joe

5. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

WLA? Pageland? Hey! Me too! l shoot there most everyy Sunday.I've known the Pigg brothers all my life. B Ballard here. I'm gonna' shoot the ATA shoot in Gastonia NC tomorrow. Anyone else going? Jamesquinn? suggs1? I live in Pageland as you may have surmised from the zip code suffix to my sign-on name. Also planning to make the Frank Foster Memorial shoot this year in Spartanburg.

As far as the vehicle thread is concerned, call me an eco-terrorist if you like, but I drive a Hummer H2.Low gas mileage, you bet, but I can drive it through a blizzard (ok--we don't get those very often here) or down a dirt path to my favorite fishing hole or hunting spot with nary a care! Tows anything I care to hook to it. All my guns and gear fit easily into the rear and this big boy won't be knocked off the road by an errant drunk running the next stop sign up the road. It hurts a bit when the gas prices rise, but I pay it gladly considering the usefulness and safety of my ride. I really hate that the Hummer is going extinct. It will probably be difficult to get parts before too long, but I plan to drive this one 'til the tires fall off it or el Presidente and his new generation of regulatory goons decide that everyone would be better off if I gave it up, along with all my guns, cigarettes,whiskey and anything else I take pleasure in owning or consuming.

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

EE: go to Kelly Blue book and put in a 20 year old Honda and a 20 year old Cadillac. Cadillac is worth $100 more trade in to dealer and $200 more to private seller. I used 200,000 miles, thats only 10,000 a year. Plus the profit stayed here in the U.S.A, and your kids, grand kids , great grand kids, etc will thank you. Do you really NOT see what is happening. I for one look at everything I buy. I had to buy some shop lights acouple weeks ago. I bought some made in UTAH. The Tiawan ones were actually $2 more. I know sometimes it can't be avoided.But americans need to realize the trouble we are in. Birdtracker

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

M R DUCKS, The 8 cycle engine was invented around 100 years ago I think by Atkinson which used steam and gasoline. The steam was a byproduct of the heat generated by gasoline just like today's engines. It is basically a steam/internal combustion engine.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

intake.. compression..power.. partial exhaust.. thru first set of valves in head... then on the second set of valves.. intake.. compression... power.. total exhaust.. dual fuel injection ports in head.. 4 valves.. 4 turbo's... dual fuel.. first regular gasoline but very high octane.. secondary fuel for 2nd cycle was a special blend that did not detonate at ultra high compression and heat.. ceramic cylinder walls.. 4 overhead cams.. gear drive.. 8 exhaust ports.. It was wild...

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Given Detroit's propensity to make cars that only last 10 years, it would cost too much to be worth the effort.

But I like the concept.

All out steam would have flown to, if the Willioams company of Ambler Pa. had been viable. Bill Lear invented a recycleable fluid, and williams had a flash chamber, no boiler necessary and only 90 second warm up.

No mor pollution than your home furnace, just a little water vapor.

They had a bus in SanFran with it. Never got any further.

Too bad.

HM

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Agreed that it would sell great but no way would a simple car you can fix yourself get past all the Federal regulations. Maybe that way on purpose?

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I had a 57 Chevy. non original 283 2 barrel.. add 4 speed and overdrive.. Got 18 city.. 24 highway.. Now. it takes X gallons of gas to go a mile.. with all the ant pollution crap they added.. cars after that got 12 city 16 highway..but were EPA correct.. Now.. if you burn X gallons of gas.. you get y pollutants.. I think the move was going in the wrong direction.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Quinn headed for the gun club in his 1996 Fleetwood. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.