1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffered loads for games?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ajax, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I was just curious who and what kind of buffered loads people might be using for long range games? Are they worth it?

Ajax

2. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

They will give you 20% better patterns. 24 grains 800x 1 3/8 shot Winchester red wad. I run both 5s & 4s. Load shot fill the rest of the hull with buffer vibrate down till you start to see shot then crimp

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Ballistic Products has a discussion page on their website about buffering. The issue of an increase in chamber pressure should be a consideration, as well as getting the buffering material in your eyes and lungs. Bob

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bob, I've tried to find the page but have not been successful. How do I find it?

Thanks,
    Ajax

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack...... Some time ago, Tom Roster wrote a booklet on shooting with buffered loads. It was very informative. Too much buffer can really push up the pressures in "hot" loads. I prefer Herco, or 800X for buffered loads as they start with pretty low pressures so adding buffering keeps the loads in the safe range.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, thanks for the heads up. I'm a Herco user also. I'm looking for the Roster book.
    I've never used buffer and ended up with a box of it. I'm down with back surgery so I have some time to play in the reloading room.
    Hope you're doing well.

Jack

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Using a straight wall hull with a paper basewad helps keep pressure down.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bob, your lips are moving so you know what they say about Obama when his are LOL

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Personally I don't think you need buffer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob...... You know dang well how to buffer loads. EVERYTHING I learned about buffering came from you. In fact, we need to change your sign on name to "Buffer Bob".... lol. Take care of yourself.... Dan

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack... I have a copy of Rosters booklet. PM me your mailing address and I'll send it up to you.... Dan

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gary, if you ever came out west and shot games with the big boys you would see how wrong you are. Can you break a target at 100 yards and break it hard?? They do it here

13. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

Here is a new/newer concept for buffered shot,they (hevi shot) use "flax seed"

. MV² pellet that sits in the base of the shell – copper-clad, steel-core pellets that are Heavier Than Steel but with a soft, dense outer copper layer fuzed to the steel, metallurgically. This gives us about 22 times the copper thickness of copper-plated lead or steel; you just can't get this kind of copper thickness without the proprietary technology we're using. The copper raises the density of the pellet. Patent pending. Copper plating puts a copper coating on the pellet that is roughly 1/6 of the thickness of a sheet of paper.

3. HEVI-Shot layer on top. 6 existing patents.

So we use the layer technology of HEVI-Metal, the density of Heavier Than Lead® and Heavier Than Steel®, and the new Speed Ball™ technology to get really fast speeds safely.

The benefits to the hunter:

Higher pellet counts in the 30-inch circle than you get with HEVI-Shot.

Nearly matches the lethal energy of HEVI-Shot, pellet size for pellet size, out to 60 yards (but far exceeds the energy of anything else).

Cheaper than HEVI-Shot, more than $1/shell cheaper.

Product Pellet Speed (fps) Pellets in 30" Circle Energy (ft-lbs)

At 40 yards

12-ga., 3", 1.25 oz BB 1635 90 886

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 1 1635 120 808

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 3 1635 167 722

12-ga., 3:, 1.25 oz 5 1635 245 630

The product will also come in 3.5 ammo,however I have'nt tested it yet.

FYIAttachments

[​IMG]

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Our game trap at Evergreen starts at 40 yards and is set up to throw hard and a long way. It is all flat land. It's challenging.

That being said the best game traps and shooter I have seen are in Lemon Grove Calif. The land is not flat. Mountain,canyons and gullies and wind. The only flat spot there is a 100yard rifle range on the right side of the traps fields. You can tell at what range the 3 and 4 shots are breaking targets. If you can compete with those guys, you impress me.

Ajax

15. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My preferrence for powder is either 800X or 4756. Have loads with both I use to load alot. Now very few games played in my country anymore.

Anyone that doesn't think buffer is a benefit obviously hasn't played the games with the big boys!

The shell speeds of the above load inspires me to ask a question of you guys. What speed do you like to push your loads?

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin... I keep my Herco loads right at 1300fps. I'm not totally convinced that the pattern doesn't blow out at speeds above this range, regardless of what powder, buffer, or wads, are used. I've patterned more "game" loads than I have any other type and have found that patterns deteriorate at faster speeds at long distances than slower loads do. The optimum speed for my buffered loads is 1280fps +/-. I want the pattern to be the best it can be with my buffered 5's.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

If you have some loose change you want to donate to some Good Old boys ,I would
    say ,go to Kingsburg ,Ca. and have some fun shooting L O N G targets .Those
    fellas can show you a thing or two about shooting money games .I did ,and YES,
    They took my money but ,I'll be back and with thier help ,I'll have the GOODS !

What Fun It WAS ,giving my money away !

19. millerm12

millerm12 Member

i dont think buffer is a must by any means to make a long shot but it does help.we shoot long oakleys and shoot offs in the 100 yard range as well.usually a super X does the job but i also like to bring out the double XX on occasion when provoked. LOL K. MILLER

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Tpeterson1

the flax seed is not being used as buffer, it is being used as a filler. Not the same thing. Steel shot and hevi are already so hard the addition of buffer is pretty pointless. I buffered a bunch of steel shot loads per various book recipes and founmd that the effort wasn't worth it with steel.

I use a lot of buffer in large shot lead loads but shooting games is the only place where using buffer with small shot is worth screwing with. games are the only place you can use small shot and kill something at 80-100 yards ( a target)

I seldom buffer anything smaller then lead #3 shot unless it is for game shooting.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
tom roster buffered loads
buffered longshot shot
how to buffer shot loads
loading buffered 12 ga loads
tom roster buffer reloading book

tom roster buffered loads