1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffered hand loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Bob Brister in his classic shotgunning book raved about using flour to buffer handloads. Have any of you tried this?

2. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Corn starch works well.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Anything that minimises set-back deformation tightens patterns.

The first problem with flour, cornstarch, grits, creme o'wheat, farina ... is that they can (and will) absorb moisture and can swell. They also can solidify, making a rather inefficient frangible slug.

Second, ALL buffer raises pressure, and it is not a linear rise. If you are starting with a hi-pressure, hi-vel load, by adding buffer you can make a hockey-stick curve pretty easily.

If you don't want to use the *designed plastic buffers, wore-out corncob or walnut-shell tumbling media works, and is less hygroscopic that flour, grits, etc.

If you want to buffer (and almost all of my Bi/NS waterfowl loads are buffered), Tom Roster's book is a necessity.

Bob

4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Been shooting flour loads at ducks and geese since the late 60's. Can kill these birds cleanly at ridiculous ranges BUT I have been using a specific loading all that time and the components are no longer available.
    Sadly there are no powder combinations currently available that I consider safe.

Have seen lots of guns come apart trying this so I don't think you should try unless you use some specific loads mentioned by Tom Roster or some current book loading. I still have lots of supplies for my load but when its gone----- it's all history to me. Phil Simms Pacific coast guide---long time ago!

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Kolared person, through my young years I was also using everything that I shouldn't and Iam damn lucky to be here for that and other reasons. Never use flour or any of items that "goatskin" posted for the same reasons... I was fortunate and maybe you would be too. But life isn't worth the chance! Only use the granulated plastic that is commercially manufactured.

If your going to roll some then either Ballistic Products has info available or as the others stated, Tom Roster has several manuals available. I have had my best patterning performance using Ballistic Products original formula. Don't try to roll your own without lab data as this procedure doen not retain familiar qualities and each load design is unique. If I can be of any assistance feel free to PM me.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin is right on the money. Don't, and I repeat, DON'T use anything other than the commercial buffering products available specifically for that purpose. Follow instructions carefully and you will roll some great loads. I have been buffering my loads for years and I have no trouble breaking targets at the same ranges those that take the chances do. The biggest concern with buffering is the increase in pressure. You can max out really fast if your not careful... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Good advice guys. If necessary buy the factory buffered loads just to stay safe. Thay may be expensive but what is your life and health worth??? Shoot well. Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tom roster buffered loads