1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffered 1oz Handicap Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

With the price of shot at record highs I was wondering if anyone out there has experimented with buffering 1oz loads for handicap distances?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Yes.

What are you hoping to accomplish?

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

PBB isn't buffering legal? A felt cushion is a great idea. What I was thinking is that a buffered load of 1oz of #8s would first off save some money and also make a nice light shooting handicap load. I wonder what pattern percentages you might gain?

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I don't have any felt. What if I stuffed my old socks in there?

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

otnot, you can achieve some extremely tight patterns with 1 oz in my testing. Through the years that I done alot of long distance shooting we played with the ouncers and settled on 1 1/8 oz for game. It is a time consuming process if done correctly. If one is to really get into there are tricks to do with wads and so forth. A new pandoras box for a trapshooter. Realistically you should be able to find really effective one ounce loads via loading without buffering or by choke manipulation.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

1/8" and 1/4" 20ga felt wads fit beautifully in the bottom 12ga wad shotcups. However, they are expensive, more than the cost of the shot replaced. So if you are trying to save money, that is not the way to do it.

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

By God Jerry I think your on to something there! LOL When I used to hunt alot of waterfowl I used to buffer #4 copper plated shot and it increased my pattern percentage 10%.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Didn't the rule book prohibit "buffered" loads for ATA competitions? Or, did that only pertain to copper and nickle plated shot? Hap

9. mike b.

mike b. Member

No need to buffer 1 oz. Not worth the time when they will break targets from the 27. Tighten your choke if you want more density, but somewhere you will reach diminishing returns. Now buffering 1 3/8 oz. of 5's is a different story.................mb

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Overkill. You can smokeball clays from the 27 with 1 oz of un-buffered shot. You just have to find the combination of barrel, choke, and components that makes your pattern smile. wireguy

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Nothing in the rules to prohibit buffering of loads at ATA shoots . Copper and nickle plated shot, as well as tracer loads are banned. No shot size over 7-1/2. You can use lead, bismuth, or steel. max vel. of 1290 fps for 1-1/8 oz. 1325 fps for 1 oz. and 1350 fps for7/8 oz.

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

I know you can get good breaks from the 27 with 1oz loads, I practice from there with them. But just think if you could get another 30 or so pellets back into that pattern that would normally be flyers? I guess I will have to fire up the reloader(it's been retired for 20 years) just to see for myself what kind of patterns I can cook up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.