1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffalo GC wins ATA club of the year

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ertz, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ertz

Ertz Member

I hear that Buffalo gun club, located in Buffalo, Minnesota was named ATA Gun club of the year. Any other information would be appreciated.

While it takes a lot of members to make a club succesful I think most members would agree that Wally Shelstad should be given special kudos for all the work he does. Congratulations Wally and every member of the Buffalo Gun club. The wife and I are proud to be members of BGC.

2. Luelife

Luelife TS Member

Congratulations to Wally Shelstad and the Buffalo Gun Club. For everyone's information the MTA (Minn Trapshooting Assoc)contributes $9.00 toward the annual ATA dues for a new shooter. The MTA has the ability to make this contribution due to the hard work of the officers and board of directors. Director Stan Durda has spearheaded the MTA's new shooter recrutment efforts,a program the Buffalo Gun Club has obviously taken full advantage of. Again,
    Congratulations to the Buffalo Gun Club. P.T. Cyr

3. sle081

sle081 Member

Can anyone tell me what the method was here, how it was selected, who voted, what was the benchmark that made this? I never heard of this catagory before. who was the selection commitee, who nominated , who confirmed ? lots of questions for this seeminly new catagory of award.
    David Gilberg

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Congrat's to the Buffalo GC... I said this previously when you mentioned how your club has grown -- well done. Have you considered sharing the 'secrets' of your success with other clubs across the country? We could learn a few things or two by your example.

5. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

What a job guys and gals. Nowonder Mn. is the best shooting state. We love it. I agree Starshot. MnJim

6. Luelife

Luelife TS Member

doggai, I'm not trying to take anything away from the Buffalo Gun CLub and the good job they have done. I think it only would be fair for the MTA to get credit for raising the money and returning some of it to the shooters.
    PTCyr

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the Buffalo Gun Club and Wally. They always offer a good target in a pleasant atmosphere. Bottom line is they know how to run their business well. Great place to shoot.

Bob

8. smittystuff

smittystuff TS Member

Congratulations to the Buffalo Gun Club!

9. Zig

Zig TS Member

I would like to say that I'm very proud to be the BGC's trap mechanic, grounds keeper, and overall maintennce. But I would like to say thanks to all the BGC members that also help when I couldn't be there. Like Wally said it's a group effort. Thanks again.

By the way Congratulations DAD!

Kyle Shelstad

10. PNT

PNT Member

Congrats to the Buffalo Gun Club, Wally, and all the hard working club members.

Pete

11. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo and I visited Buffalo GC this past spring and it's no surprise to us that it was named an award winner. It is a great little club that is working hard to further the sport we all love. Congrats to all.....

12. MN Trap Mom

MN Trap Mom TS Member

Congratulations to Wally and the whole crew at Buffalo Gun Club! One of the reasons why it's such a great place to shoot is that we always feel welcome there. Walking into the clubhouse is kind of like walking into "CHEERS"! It's the friendly atmosphere and emphasis on customer service that keeps people coming back. We had my oldest daughter's graduation part there a couple years ago and Kyle was a huge help getting the place looking nice for us. I can't think of another club more deserving of this honor. GREAT JOB!

Kim Kitzman

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I have got to figure out a way to visit this club next year...

14. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Recipe for club of the year.

1. Greet every single customer that comes throught the door and shake their hand.
    2. Learn their names the first day and when they come through the door the next time call them by name.
    3. Throw good targets at the correct hieght and speed.
    4. If someone has a hard time hitting a target, help them or designate someone to help them immediately. If they cannot afford another round for the help, do like I do, buy it for them and help them. ( rounds and Ammo if needed)
    5. Walk up to the customer and ask how everything is going. ( just like walmart, "did you find everything you needed")
    6. Offer them a club membership. An ATA membership. Be able to accurately descibe the benifits of both.
    7. Offer them good prices. Buffalo gun club is $5.00 per round, not 8 or $10.00 like some in town. Offer discount cards. A discount card at Buffalo Gun club allows the holder to shoot for $4.40 per round. Cards are sold as 10 or 20 rounds.
    8. Discount cards are the same for members or the average person whom walks in off the street.
    9. Youths 15 years and younger shoot for $3.00 per round.
    10. Offer several different types of ammunition. Lights, heavy, 20 ga. 12 ga.
    11. Offer womens only classes. Many women are intimidated to shoot with good shooters. Offer them a class that gives them freedom to be without peers. Have some women from your club their to help coach the girls. The instructor should be very knowledgable and able to discern the problems the shooter is having, and give very sound advise on how to correct the problem. Offer food, drinks, gun safety, and an open invitation to more coaching any time they come back to the club. Class and targets should be furnished a cost or even free for the class.
    12. Have volunteers to help with the daily chores.
    13. Have only competent trap help. Fill targets in a fast and efficient manor.
    14. Trap help should be polite, very curtious, energetic and wanting to assist a shooter at a moments notice.
    15. Give the customers clean, odor free rest rooms and facilities. Plenty of paper goods.
    16. Offer the customer free coffee and rolls or donuts. ( little thing go a long way).
    17. If you have a food facility, sell the food at or near cost. Do not gouge the customer.
    18. Say goodbye, offer to carry "stuff" to their car with them. Sincerely thank them for coming.
    19. Tell them you hope to see them soon again and ask if their was any thing we could do to improve their visit next time?
    20. If they shot ATA that evening, send thier scores in that evening. Mail the money to MTA and ATA the following morning along with the shooting report.
    21. If the shooter won money, Mail that money to the shooter no later than 2 days after the shoot. If possible include a flyer for the next shoot.
    22. It they joined your club, the club president should send a personell thank you card to the new member. A business card and perhaps a comment card could also accompany the thank you note. Perhaps even a brouchure for the next shoot and a schedule of all the ATA shoots this year in your state.
    23. Make sure every shooter is in a safe environment.
    24. Make sure every single shooter has a good time, perhaps the best time of their shooting career. Personal conversations started two or three times per day will help to break the ice.
    25. Keep the grounds, and range immaculate. Appearance is important. Make it look like a golf course.
    26. Offer other items for the customer, ie: shooting bags, towels, T.shirts, sweat shirts, shell catchers, shell bags etc. Have your logo on them. (free advertising)
    27. Treat every customer like a family member. Be aware or their illnesses, recent surgery, medical trip they told you about. Ask them how it went the next time you see them. Be genuinely concerned. ( should go without saying).
    28. Should you lose a club member or spouse or a member child send your condolences along with flowers. Attend the service if at all possible and if possible hold a benifit shoot for the family. All proceeds go to the family on that day.
    29. If you have a bum or two in your club that is a loud mouth, bad manors, foul language, unsafe etc. Invite them to clean up their act immediately or invite them out the door for the last time. No alcohol and no drugs. The club should be 100 percent family oriented. If it is not you will fail.
    30. How did Wally Shelstad get to be on the list this year. Live, sleep and breath gun club. Open the doors on Wednesday evening, Thursday evening, Saturday and Sundays all day. Hold marathons as much as possible, Host big 50 events, Start a SCTP youth program. Rent out the club to the 4H, Pheasants forever, NRA, BB gun classes, Deer hunters association, Mn. Waterfowl association, and Duck Unlimited. Support everyone of these associations with a club membership and join everyone of their associations.
    On off days, mop the floors, do the garbage, repair machinery, attend to all the behind the scenes items, fill the traps with targets, mow the lawn, fix the gate, replace the patterning board and a 100 other things persons don't see. Set on the board of directors or the Minnesota Trap Association, and your club. Give valuable resources without ever expecting to get a thank you. When you do recieve one. Take it graciously, tell them you had lots of help and you didn't do it by yourself and hope that someone whom had nothing to do with your success tries to hi jack your thread and take the credit for the hundreds and hundreds of hours you worked you butt off to make everything the way you like it to be. Last but not least. TREAT EVERY ONE BETTER THAN YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE YOURSELF.

Sorry Wally, couldn't keep quiet forever.
    Mark Stevens

15. Zig

Zig TS Member

Well said Mark!!!!!:)

Kyle S.

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Forget visiting, I want to move close by and become a member! Now that's a club worth supporting. I've still got to figure out how to squeeze a trip in to visit... congrat's again.

17. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

great job Wally!!! congratulations to you and your staff.

18. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Wally

With this kind of press you could be getting very busy. Best start adding traps now.

Well done!!

Bob

19. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Mr. Baker - thank you for the invite. No more big trips for me this year, will have to talk to some of my MN friends and see when a good time to visit will be in '08. Definitely putting Buffalo GC on my list to visit, should I get out there.

Thanks again,

Sherree

20. Zig

Zig TS Member

On a side note:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WALLY!!!!!!

From freinds and family of the Buffalo Gun Club

And thanks to the people with positive feedback about BGC

Kyle Shelstad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.