1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Budgeting your year

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tooler, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooler

Tooler TS Member

I am recently retired and look forward to a new year of shooting. What do you long time ATA members look at for planning your new year of shooting? I am fairly new to the game 6 years. Last year I registered close to 11K in targets. This year I have more time but less disposable income. Your thoughts would be appreciated (sp). I went to my first GA in 11 and had a blast.

R Jones

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Usually in January or February the shoot dates for the upcoming spring-summer-fall of the target year are posted by most states. I normally combine those on my calendar for all clubs within 100 miles of my house. And then I add in the shoots I really want to attend and have a reasonable chance of attending like PA State and Westy Hogans and zones. That way I can see any conflicts and chose the shoots I prefer AND get a fair idea of what it will cost in gas-fees-room and board to attend every thing. Then based on my fixed income I may have to remove a shoot that I simply can't afford to attend.

I check the sites regularly and adjust as more shoots are added for the fall and into the winter.

It sounds like a lot of work but really isn't besides being retired I have lots of time for it and loading shells. In the 4 years since I retired I have been shooting between 5500 and 9000 registered targets per year. For me health caused more changes than income so I guess I am lucky.

--- Chip King ---

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Play the money, shoot good, problem solved

4. plaw

plaw Active Member

I have never had a lot of disposable income, I have always shot on a budget, I travel with a shooting friend so he drives one time and then i another,we split the motels. we try to attend 3 state shoots and the grand.but i have decided to drop the grand this yr. and save some time and money for a better vac. with the wife.

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I don't really budget but I like buy supplies and load all winter, then I just need entry and travel money doing the shooting season.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

During shooting season I cut back on my insulin money as much as possible and sort of take advances from the kids' college funds - but, sadly, my lack of winnings keep me broke. But...you only go around once and the admiration of fellow trapshooters for my annual new combo set and participation in trapshoots more than make up for the hardships (high credit card balances). Luckily, I am now 2 yards closer to the first "big win". Meanwhile, if I could just hit a win or two on the scratch-off lottery cards or a big win in the weekly lottery it will be happy days. Just kidding. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.