1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Budget gun cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

the next time you are sitting in your easy chair watching the ballgame get a good scissors and an old white t shirt and cut it into 3 by 3 sections. They make excellent gun cleaning patches.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

But, if I cut up my old white T-shirt, I would not have anything to wear as I sat in my easy chair to watch a ball game.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

With well placed 3x3 patches cut out of your tee shirt, you will have a ported tee shirt. You will be alot cooler in the summer and recoil free too boot. HMB

4. guido

guido Member

Paper towels work real good also.

Guido

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Porting is designed to provide an alternate hole or holes for the passage of gasses. Are you sure I should cut the ports in my shirt of some other haberdashery I might be wearing?

Pat Ireland

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just use my wife's underwear and a come-along.

(One of my favorite lines borrrowed from TS.com)

-Gary

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old flannel shirts from the welfare store or an auction.

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Go to a fabric store and look for their inventory clearance items. If you can find the stuff they make baby PJ's out of you can buy may yards of it for less than 10 bucks. I recall I bought 5 yards of it for 99 cents a yard. That will allow you to watch a 7 game World Series while cutting 3" squares.

To save you the math -- its 720 3" patches and works out to about 7/10ths of a penny each.

9. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

I have used kitchen paper towell strips on a 12 ga patch jag for years. Dont believe I've ever run a cloth patch through my guns.

10. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Nothing better than a 3-4 foot long section of 2-ply toilet paper pushed through with a wooden dowel rod. I've had to go to this since my wife caught me using those handy thingy's of her's with the strings attached. ....Rick

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic. At my club we have a 4'x8' cleaning table that we built for all to use. A while back we put out about 500 3x3" patches made from old shirts, sheets, etc for shooters to use. In less than a week they were gone due to someone grabbing handfulls and taking them home. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you have to steal patches.

Eric

12. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

How about a corn cob, alot of great uses!

13. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I cut up some bed sheets today , cut them bigger than 3x3's, with some marvel mystrey oil seems to do great.
    Any other suggestions on materials??. I have a friend that runs a cloth barn, She would be on the look out for what I need.
    Railroad

14. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

It is wonderful to see that there are other "frugal types" around! FWIW I have used a wide range of "found" cloths from underwear to flannel shirts to sheets to exercise wear to denim and kakhi pants. I have also used paper towels. My shotguns have not complained a bit. I am currently using paper napkins that have "followed me home" from various eating establishments. I find that napkins from "chain" coffee houses tend to work the best. Nice and rough!

I have also learned how to "economize" on cleaning solvent. I am a firm believer in Ballistol and I use it whenever a CLP is called for. For preliminary bore cleaning I have taken to using Ballistol's "black powder" or "corrosive primer" mixes of approximately 1 to 2 to 1 to 10 parts Ballistol to water. I use a spray bottle to "hose down" the bore and then use a brass bristle brush on the wet bore. If there is any disadvantage to using "dilute" Ballistol for this purpose I have yet to see it. It is amazing how much "gunk" comes out on the dry "patches" that I use after this process. I suppose I could just end the cleaning process at this point, since Ballisto emulsifies with water and acts as a rust preventer even when it is mixed with water. However, being the pessimist that I am, I always finish the cleaning with a few "patches" that are wetted with "straight Ballistol" to "tidy things up".

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Geez, you guys...The extent of my gun cleaning is pulling a bore snake through the bore a couple times, blowing the crud out of the receiver with an air hose, and wiping down the whole gun with a soft cloth sprayed with "Scotts Liquid Gold" furniture polish. I spray the trigger assembly with "Break Free" from time to time, blow it off, and put it back into the gun... Job over..... Total time to clean? 10 minutes, tops!. Sitting with scissors cutting up an old T-shirt into 3x3 squares is just not something that really appeals to me as a fun sort of thing to do..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I know how to make Martha Stewart scream......

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.