1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddy Shooters R U Not breaking B/U Tgts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

This is for serious buddy shooters, shooting 2 man and 3 man protection shoots and Annie Oakleys. On your target use your hold point that is breaking targets for you, do not change it as you know it works. But on 2nd and 3rd shot or 4th shot on Annie Oakleys you need to change your hold point, on 2 man buddies for 2nd shot hold a little lower approx 1 foot, watch the target and see if your partner breaks his target if he misses you go after the target like you do no you 1st target, why? This allows you to move to the target and the momnentum of the movement of your gun lets you follow through, genereally the target is at it's peak or just starting to fall and you flat shooting gun shooters need to hold on the target to break it, those that shoot a higher gun or high shooting gun like I shoot I hold under the target approx 6-10inches to break it. On the 3rd shot pick up on 3 man buddies I hold a foot above the traphouse
    and move under the target on a paralell movement, if 1st shooter and 2nd shooter miss it, I have the target in view and how far under I hold depends on how fast the 1st and 2nd shooter shoot, the slower they shoot the farther under the target I shoot, this lets the target fall into my pattern, for example last Friday night the Money Bird or Black bird came out, and 1st and 2nd shooter missed it, I held about 2 feet under the target and broke it, a shooter just before that protection asked me how I break pick up targets, he shoots quickly and breaks his targets very well, but is missing his back ups, I observed him on the next 2 protections and told him you are shooting over targets but not by much, the reason is the first shooter was shooting targets a bit slower and the target was past it's peak when he was shooting at it, I told him to hold a lower gun when a partner shoots, and be moving a bit slower to the target, that way you have your first shot look at the target and it will be lower than your 1st shot for your target. And he tried it and was centering the Pick Up Target. But this is a game of breaking targets at all different heights, especially on a windy night, targets may be going down fast on a tail wind, that is a wind form your back forcing the targets down, or a cross wid pushing the more to the right or left when shooting a left cross wind or a right cross wind. It takes time to learn your hold points in buddy shoots and a lot of it depends on how fast your partner shoots.

On Annie Oakleys we have guys that will ride the target with the hope if he misses the back/up shooters will miss it also, When I am the 3rd or 4th shot I get out my 1550fps 1 1/8th #6 longshot load, at that distance I shoot them with the same lead as 27 yard targets and I miss very few 4th shots.

My back up line and Annie Load is 26 grs 800-X w/ 1 3/16ths #6s, using a Rio Hull, Rio Primer and Blue Claybuster Windjammer Wad the one for 1 1/8th oz.

This shell s a little faster approx 1275fps compared to my 1200fps 1 1/8th 3 Dram 7.5s and I do not have to change my hold point much as my partner shoots approx at the same speed as I do, and for 2nd shot on an Annie Oakley it works just fine for me. Now do not get technical on the speed it is between 1275 and 1300fps with 1 3/16ths, I load the Rio to the Gold Medal Specs as the hulls are very similiar.

I have broken many targets 3 feet off the ground in Annie Oakleys, some Annie Oakleys we have 6 guns in the air and it gets very tricky not to double and get shot out of the Annie.

Sometime when you get to the shoot have the puller pull you some targets and let them ride out to where they would be if you your partner misses.

Also go and shoot some practice from where they shoot the buddy shootoffs from so you can practice and see how many you can break to get ready for the nights shootoffs.

Practice makes percect, a good shoot off shell if you are buying new shells for shootoffs is a 1335fps 1 1/4 oz #6s or #5s, they would be listed as a 3 3/4 Dram 1 1/4 oz shot shells, this shell will break them from just about anywhere if you do not load shells.

I use a lot of Federal Top Guns at $50.00 a flat for 1st shot in Buddies.

If you have any other questions I can help you with please ask on here or PM me and I will try to help you.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

That is some serious artillery you are lobbing downrange Doc! Any buffer? How about plated shot?

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Thanks guys for all the PMs I hope the answers I gave each of you will take you to the next level and break those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots.

You need to alter your hold points when your are the 3rd, and 4th shooter on those Annie's.

When you get that guy that rides the target way out there trying to get the B/U shooters to miss it if he misses, use a faster load w/6s or 5s it really helps, especially for that target 3 feet off the ground.

Avaldes: No I do not use buffered loads or plated shot. Just Magnum shot.

Games shooting has been picking up so much at clubs in Southern Ohio we are now getting 50 + shooters and they are coming from more than 100 miles to shoot
    we have a few driving 150 miles every friday night, from north western Ohio, Northeastern Ohio and from Kentucky and West Virginia, and so many of them are former ATA shooters.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.