1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bucks County Trap Price Increase?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Just curious if anyone knows why they raised the rates to shoot trap at Bucks County? It used to be $4.50 a round and it is now $5.00 a round of 25 birds. Bucks county was always more than any other club in the area and now it is even more. I know people are going to say what is a $1 here or there but to me it makes a difference. I think I am going to stop shooting down there.

2. det131

det131 Member

Well the cost of targets has gone up, the cost to ship them to us has gone up, the fuel surcharge added to the shipping has gone up, the cost of energy to heat/cool, light the clubhouse and power the traps has gone up, in fact all the costs of doing business has gone up. Other than that I can't think of a single reason.

If expenses drop prices will reflect that accordingly.

Jim

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Really, because Bucks is most expensive club in the Area:

Branch valley $4, Souderton Harleysville $4, Lower Merion $4, Swamp $3.50, I can go on and on. I just can't see why bucks is the only one who has raised there rates when all other clubs remains the same. Not to mention some other clubs have incentives as to the more you shoot, Such as buy 5 rounds get one free. Or full practice squads have a chance at a free round etc. I'd did see that Bucks is offering $3 round on Veterans Day.

4. det131

det131 Member

Pete:

Tough to respond to that as I do not have any information on how the mentioned clubs operate or how they cover expenses.

I can tell you how we operate. Member/Non member all pay the same fee. No member dues support the trap program. No members are required to put in work days to support the trap operation nor any other part of the club facilities, it is all done for you and it is not free. Maintainence of the equipment, grounds, loading of the targets, scoring, etc. all the things that go into a program are all done for you. None of that is free either. The "club" purchases and stores the targets we then purchase them from the club at a premium. All taxes and fees associated with the costs of targets are included in our costs.

The last two times we saw increases to the basic cost of targets our prices remained unchanged. This time it was necessary to bump the price up by two cents a target. We still offer discount coupons. I have started a mid-fifty, and straight squad jackpot, am offering a green bird program on ATA shoots, sadly there are generally not enough ATA squads to guarantee a green bird will come out of the trap. I am trying to restart a structured ATA shoot program, the information is posted at the club, so far not a single person has expressed interest. We are looking into creating somekind of discount purchase program. If I can get a volunteer to oversee additional fun/game/reward programs we will be happy to include that also.

Thanks for your support

Jim

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Which clubs rely on volunteer help?

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

stokinpls, to answer your question, the good ones. The others are really just customers. Jake

7. det131

det131 Member

Stokinpls:

A lot of smaller clubs, one or two fields, maybe a skeet field, or five stand, etc. The shooter/club members are taking turns or as a requirement of membership are the ones loading the traps, cutting the grass, setting up the fields, scoring, closing up at the end of the day, etc., etc., etc. That’s why you see some clubs pricing differently for member/non-member. Some a portion of the dues is dedicated to the clay target programs; those usually provide a certain number of rounds with membership. Some are just a trap or skeet club, no rifle, pistol, archery ranges, or otherwise to maintain. Many don't even consider the costs of operations beyond what targets cost as part of the equation. Just a group of people who enjoy shooting and doing what is necessary for it to continue. God bless them.

j2jake:

You're right, thats what makes it a club as opposed to a business, you have a share in it, and you get out what you put in. That's what makes it a, "Club."

Those of us that have to operate as a business, need to operate a little differently in order to maintain a quality program at as reasonable cost as possible. I certainly do not view any of the shooters that come here as just a customer.

Jim

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Did you say that Bucks County buys the targets and stores them then you buy them at a Premium price ?? Maybe thats where the increase is coming from . WE at Mallard are an all members hands on club with no paid help but then again it`s the same ones that are helping ?? Only cost to the club is a minimal grass cutting and Johnny cleaning . Of course we pay rent and insurances plus electric and trap repairs when necessary but we keep our fees at $3 member,including family members -$4.50 non/$3.50 for 16 yr old and under . WE are open to the public with Wednesday Big 50`s April and Sept . No other ATA events . 4 money shoots thru-out the year . One free food day for all with members and Family shooting for free .

9. det131

det131 Member

Ljutic 111

Certainly that’s the major difference, along with the paid help, and paid grounds keeping. Comparing clubs like yours to BCF&G is apples to oranges. Not quoting prices but if you're paying say 9.00 a case for targets and I'm paying 13.00 a case for targets then our prices are not at all out of line.

It is clubs like yours that really are the ones that keep this sport going and no matter where you go it is always the same ones that are helping. We have nearly 2000 members but I doubt if there are more than twenty that shoot trap here on a regular basis and maybe another thirty that are occasional shooters. A lot of our regular shooters travel to get here.

We shoot three days a week, shooting at night is not an option here. That hurts us as many of the other clubs mentioned can offer evening programs. They also fit more into the description of your club than ours.

We can register ATA targets almost every day we are open. Makes it too easy here, when any of the other local clubs are holding their once monthly shoots of course shooters want to go there. So would I, might only be able to shoot an ATA event at that club twelve times a year, weather permitting. There are more than a hundred opportunities a year here at Bucks.

Jim

10. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

My guess to the increase was the rumored ata monies being kept by someone and not posting scores, aka the problem at the state shoot that was talked about.

It's a nice place to shoot but in my opinion they need a way to remain competitive with other clubs. I can save money by shooting at different places. I do like the guys at bucks, but in thus economy If I save $1 per round at the end if the year that's a minimum of $1500 savings.

11. William681

William681 Member

My 2 cents.

I do not understand the mindset of those who believe the only cost of operating a Trap program is the price of a claybird off the trap.

Who pays for the Trap?, the Electric?, the Maintenence?, the Computer Program to log YOUR scores, you people have never run a business.

Club members??, most clubs I have belonged to are a handful of workers and a multitude of takers and complainers. This is not limited to gun clubs.

I shoot at a club nearby, $5.00/round to members, $8.00 non-members.
    $200.00 yearly membership, I need to shoot 66 rounds per year to break even, not to mention my cost to drive an hour and a half each way to get there. It is the closest real club throwing ATA targets to me.

I have a local shooting range 5 minutes from where I now live.

I am trying to garner interest in trapshooting there. (now mostly black rifles with suppressors, I admit it is fun, and I am hooked)

I have a 30 year old Remington 4100 trap mounted on a trailer, with a generator to power it.

I set up a basic 16 yd trap range.

I charge $5.00 for a round of 25.

On this I gross $2.50/round,I cannot buy clays by the trailer load, out of that comes $1.00 per round to the range owner.

Now my gross is $1.50, out of that comes fuel for the generator, 1.4 gallons per hour @ $3.50 per gallon. (not factored in is the cost of generator and its' maitenence, nor is the cost of the trap and its' maintence, nor the cost of the trailer and its' license fees and taxes). I am not getting rich. The OWS gang will not be on my doorstep.

I have no real estate taxes to cover, no club insurance to cover, no employees to cover, no building maintence to cover, etc.

I have and will continue to eat most of the cost just trying to get something started. Who knows in a year, a real trap house. Maybe voice releases, you know the ones you can calibrate!!! (LOL Indy)

Those of you whining about a $5.00 round of clays need to get real. Bought a gallon of Milk lately.

Bet you still afford that $18 case,or more,of beer a week, that carton of cigaretts @ $45.00, (hey give up one pac a day and you could buy a round or a box of shells).

Still buying your favorite Burbon, bet that cost the same as it did 5 years ago.

Still buying those Mega-Powerball tickets??

Play Golf?? Bet you don't bat an eye paying $60.00+ for greens fees plus $20.00 for a cart, and 2 bucks a pop for the balls you put in the woods and water.

How much of a return you getting on that 300 horsepower bass boat. Hope you catch a thousand pounds per year to break even.

Get over yourselves. Boys,(girls too), have toys. Toys cost, if you do not want to pay to play get out of the sandbox.

A shooter with a $14,000 gun, shooting Nitros, driving a Lexus, then complaining about an extra fifty cents a round falls on deaf ears.

Better for you to focus on winning the Grand, your odds are better.

Bill Boston
    Southport NC

PS to Huntin'Fool

Past history, no connection to how the program is now being run.

Extensive efforts were made to correct and post everyone whose score may have been "overlooked".

Any that were missed need to be directed to Det131, as he has requested before.

I assure you he will do his utmost to right any wrong.

Bill

12. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

Its 7.00 a round here on Long Island NY...

worth every penny !

Chris

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Right on Bill!!

14. Cooter

Cooter Member

Well put William 681, I live in New Jersey and I started shooting trap in the early 60's,what scares me is the same stupid complaints that are being talked about here were being aired back then.It led to the closing of about 90% of the small trap clubs that we shot at.The people around Bucks County have a lot of places to shoot (right now) but if these places aren't supported they go away and you will be in the same boat as we in New Jersy having to travel 60 miles to shoot a round of practice. Bucks County is the nicest facility within 50 miles,best back ground etc,don't let 2 cents a target ruin a fine place to shoot.

15. Beni

Beni Member

If its a club run on membership dues then there are alot of ways to offset money for around of trap. If the club is multiuse ( Rifle pistol shotgun blackpowder indoor range outdoorrange) Every facet should help carry the load. The problem is everybody wants to ride the trapshooter back until it gets broke. Your membership should have bylaws to help with that i.e. member in good standing means what. Force them to help, to keep costs down. I know in about every organaztion only about 20% will help but thats better than paying labor. Which is a big profit killer on any club........ beni

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

daddioooooo----Where are you?? Us poor trapshooters need some help here.

daddiooooo and I belong to the same club where most of the work is done by members, the club does pay some things--lawn & road maint.-- trap repairs--storage facilities--insurance--taxes-etc. from our yearly dues, you get my drift. Even then we have to charge $3.00 per round for clay targets (members)$6.00 NON members, trap & skeet do not use quite as many "lets see 1 or a pair) as SC but they still have some & these have to be factored in & paid for out of that $3.00. Yes it's expensive for non members but they don't pay initiation fee--yearly dues--work hours--etc.

The trap entity of the club does pay or credit work hours for scorekeepers--trap loaders--etc. for registered shoots. With the costs of travel-ammo-targets-ATA fees-economy- etc. it's hard to get the turn outs we used to get but the "fixed" costs stay pretty much the same whether we get 40 or 70 shooters at a registered shoot. Just my thoughts Ross Puls

17. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Wow, did this really start a controversy. Jim pretty much answered my question is that all there cost's went up. It is a big facility and they pay guys to collect trap fees etc. Most other local places we shoot are volunteer. While the extra $1 isn't that big of a deal to most it just seems if I can shoot somewhere else that is the same distance away for less money that's what I would do.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

How many times have I heard :

"Trap Shooters are the cheapest S.O.B.s in the World"?

19. det131

det131 Member

Huntin’Fool

That should be old news by now, four years old actually. Yes there was a problem with a former manager here. Once discovered it was immediately corrected to the best of our ability. That person was removed from the program, all missing scores were submitted and credited. Charles, Frank, and I made every effort not to miss anybody and we did it all at our own expense. To state or suggest we are trying to recoup those monies is pure bullsh**t and clearly demonstrates the value of rumors.

Oh and I have got that 99 I bought from you smoking targets.

Always a pleasure to see you here at the club.

Jim

20. det131

det131 Member

To all:

On more thing, since it has been mentioned. Yes I am throwing $3.00 rounds on Friday for veterans. This will not cover costs. Any shortfalls are coming out of our pockets as the gift of three Viet Nam vets to all the others that have served.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bucks county trap shooting

volunteer trap club clay prices