1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buckmark or Mk III...???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

I'm in the market for a 22LR pistol. Can't decide between the Browning or the Ruger (both with 5.5" bull barrels). Any recommendations? Thanks! john

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I like the older Browning BuckMark Target 7.5 inch Bbl if memory serves me right, I beat rifle shooters with that pistol rifle and pistol both with open sights.

This is the most accurate 22lr pistol I ever shot. You don't see them used.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Will it be suppressed?

...(wait for it...wait for it...)

4. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I have a Challenger III, (the Buck Mark before the Buck Mark). It really doesn't like to cycle anything other than round nose bullets. The feed ramp will kick stepped nose bullets high. Other than that, it is the most accurate pistol I own. It points like an extension of my arm. Mine is not for sale.

Good Luck,

Todd

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'll get it in before Brian. Get the Buckmark, it is very accurate. It also handles a suppressor very well. It really is a great pistol. Jackie B.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Funny you asked. Ruger has a pre-threaded, model!!!

I like the Browning Buckmark better. Grips and takedown is easier. You'll curse the Mark III till you learn how to tweak the re-assembly.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The older Ruger Government came with a test target showing one hole from the 25 yards. Might be something to consider. I have one of them and found it more accurate and easier to shoot with regular ammo than my S&W 41 which I no longer have, FWIW. JM

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Ruger Mk II all the way. Ruger has gone down the same path all the other firearm makers have. New stuff cheaper made, cost more and not as good as their older models.

9. Loyac

Loyac Member

Thank you one and all. The Buckmark it is. john

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As much as I like the Buckmark, one caveat.... Do not dry fire it unless you use dummy rounds. If you plan to dry fire a lot the Ruger is better for that.

As for the Ruger, I would not get a Mark III. They have a fugly loaded chamber indicator and the trigger pull is inferior compared to the Mk II and even Mk I.

The Ruger I like is the Mk II Government Model. I would look for a used one long before buying a Mk III. The only reason to get a Mk III is if you absolutely have to have the version that takes 1911 grip panels.

As mentioned above, yes, I do have a Buckmark. It's a 5.5" Field model. And as Buzzgun notes, yes, I did have it threaded and use it with a suppressor. It's been very reliable, and cycles everything from subsonics to hyper-sonics. My son also has a Buckmark Threaded Camper model. Identical to the standard Camper, except it came factory threaded. Both are very accurate, taking a back seat only to my S&W Model 41.

View attachment 201970

My Buckmark 5.5" Field, prior to conversion, just for Buzzgun.

View attachment 201971

My son's Buckmark Threaded Camper.

11. Brian in Oregon

Oh, and BTW, while Browning installs an adjustable over-travel stop on their target triggers and installs a target trigger spring, you can get these parts cheap at Midwest Gun Works:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-025

If you take your Buckmark apart for cleaning on a regular basis, it's not a bad idea to get spares of some of the small parts. I plan to make a small spares kit for my range box. Be aware that when you remove the RH grip panel that small parts will fall out.

In addition to Midwest Gun Works, Brownells and Midway also carry Buckmark parts. A lot of guys are customizing their Buckmarks by replacing some black parts with nickeled parts, like slide release, mag release and safety, etc.

In addition, a little known trick is to flip the existing spring over for a lighter trigger pull. This is called the Heggis Flip. You can google for it if you're interested.

One last thing... Buckmarks have THREE different frames. The standard frame as shown in the photos in the previous post. The UDX models have a slimmed down grip frame that is scalloped with shallow finger grooves. The URX models also have a narrow grip frame, but they have a wrap around rubber grip with finger grooves. Make sure which one you want after trying them, because the grips DO NOT interchange. I prefer the standard since most finger grooves do not fit me, and almost all aftermarket grips are for the standard frame.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ruger MKII Mod 678G Government

13. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Why not one of each. Shoot them both and decide which is the best shooter and sell the other one!

Cheers,

George

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Ruger III with a volquartsen trigger. It was second only to the S&W Model 41 when I shot NRA matches.

Doc

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I prefer a Mark II KMK-512 (Stainless Steel) with a Clark trigger. As with another contributor, the Model 41 is preferred; second is the Ruger. BT100dc

16. missemucho

missemucho Member

If you've taken them both apart to clean you won't ask that question!
    John

17. Brian in Oregon

What John posts is true. You can remove two screws and have the Buckmark barrel with its sights off the frame, so as to clean it from the breech end. This also allows removal of the slide.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I like my Buckmarks, but one thing I will add, is if you are out shooting and you decide to do some minor cleaning kind of be fragile with the extractor

One time I had my damn big fingers in there trying to get a piece of dirt out, and pulled the extractor a little hard and it all fell out, the amazing part was I caught all the pieces

The pi$$er part was when i was putting it back together the wind blew the spring off my shooting bench

We searched for an hour for it even with a magnet, but not to worry Brownells sells them for about $2 each plus $6 postage, so I got two of them so if it ever happens again I won't be about to find the spare

19. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Buckmark.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What collins said. A mark III with sear and trigger work will shoot right up with the 41 and waaay better than the buckfart...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning buck mark with scalloped frame