1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buckling up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

It's been raining a lot the last few days here on the left coast and today was no exception, but it seemed a bit lighter, so i loaded up the gun and gearbag and headed down to Rowdy Creek for some trap.

As i approached the club, the sun came out, albeit just a little, but enough to lift the gloom. I shot a couple rounds of practice at the 16 and someone shouted out that we are going to shoot an Annie Oakley. "What's that?', i asked. They 'splained and about 20 of us lined up started shooting.

I was amazed to look up after awhile and see that i was standing with only five guys, then down to three and then just me and one other. I have not been in this very long and have only shot from the 16, except for maybe 2-3 times at the 24.

The bird flew, he shot and walked away with an empty box, leaving me standing all alone with three rounds."no pressure, Bloom, no pressure", the crowd shouted jokingly as i called the bird and saw the particles of orange splash against the blue/gray sky.

The silver buckle is mine! This was my first competitive shoot and thought i would beat my chest just a little. I just love this stuff.
    [​IMG]

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Congrats!!

3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I always enjoy adding a buckle to my collection. Good job and congrats.

Rich in Indiana

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Good job! Annies are a lot of fun.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sometimes not knowing whats going on is good. You just buckled down(no pun intended) and did what comes natural, Shooting. Nice job and beautiful buckle. Matt

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

Hmm...from the description, that sounds different than what gets called an Annie around here. Would you mind giving a quick rundown of the rules? We're always looking for new games to play.

Thanks,

Joe

7. neofight

neofight TS Member

jhoward, i'm not sure about all the rules as it's all new to me and rather than screw it all up, i'll contact someone from our club and get it straight. I remember that we had about 20 people standing shoulder to shoulder, all the way back on the asphalt apron.The person on the left end of the line started by calling the bird and shooting.If the shooter missed, the next three persons would try to break it in order of their position. The people to the left of the person who broke the bird had to go to the end of the line. There was a lot of rapid-fire shooting, people shuffling about and i had to get nudged a couple times to be reminded to either call the bird or to move to the end of the line : )

I tend to get too focused sometimes and fail to see what's going on around me. I can walk and chew gum, but it's a little shaky : )

Again, i'll try to get the rules as they are written and get back to you. It was a fun event, lots of laughs.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

Okay, i talked with a club member and he said the rules were modified by the club to suit them. I can add that if all four shooters miss, they remain in position and the next person calls the bird, shoots and it continues on, eliminating everyone as they run out of ammo, leaving the last shooter standing.

If the first shooter breaks, the next person calls and shoots and so on. I have no idea how the original Oakley shoot works, but this is how they do it here.The strategy is for the first shooter to not shoot too soon, allowing the bird to get out there, so if he misses, he makes it tougher for the next three shooters to hit the falling bird.I don't see my doing that at this stage of my shooting : ) I'll take what i can get, the earlier the better.

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Hmm...yeah, that is a variation of what we do. In ours, you get a certain number of misses, usually 3-6. If you miss a target, then the next shooter shoots at it, if he misses, the next guy shoots ect. If the target hits the ground without having been broken, no misses are assigned and the second shooter calls the next target. If the target is broken, then a miss is assigned to each shooter who shot and missed. Once you reach the set number of misses, you are out.

I'm not sure that I would like the way your rules work. It seems like it would be very easy to try to manipulate the system. As an example, there is no incentive for the first shooter to break his target. If he misses and everyone behind him also misses, he has cost all of those shooters an extra shell, while being out nothing himself. The second and third shooters are at the biggest disadvantage because the fourth shooter can just not shoot, either claiming that he thought he saw a chip off the target or that there wasn't enough time to shoot before the target hit the ground, saving himself a shell.

Not criticising really, it just seems like an easy game to manipulate.

10. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

We play it starting with the usual 3 shooters first shooter misses next guy shoots etc if all 3 missit the shecond shooter calls for the bird, shoots and misses and the next shooter hits it first shooters gets bumped, 2 bumps and you're out last week we started with 6 shooters and myself and the top shooter in the club went at ir for about 22 rounds before I missed and he did'nt. He beat me again in "chips" but we go round and round every week. I have only been shooting trap for 2 years but I am getting good, Last ATA shoot I shot 98 for singles and 95 caps from the 20 yard line. Woody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.