1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buckets on the trap line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NintyT, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NintyT

NintyT Member

When I saw the front cover of the Feb. '09 T&F, my first thought was, "I hope this doesn't catch on". One of the photos shows shooters on the line, with a 5 gallon plastic bucket in front of each shooter for their discarded hulls. This may be fine for practice, leagues and such, and makes clean up much easier and less expensive, but for registered shoots, I say, No way!

What say you?

2. IM390

IM390 Member

We do it now. Our club has a mandatory pick-up rule. You shoot and you clean up after your mess. Most people will put them back into their vest. I suppose a bucket isn't bad either.

3. tdahlke

tdahlke TS Member

Personally if it bothers you that much just move it behind the line when you go to shoot problem solved. Just my 2 cents.

T.J.

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

This decreases trap help payroll. I hope our Club begins this too in order to keep the field cleaner with trying to reduce overall costs of operations. The shooters are first to complain about simple things like this and also when the shooting cost must increase to pay the bills. Just my 2 cents.

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Don't care for them at all because a lot of shooters, dont know the ettiquete, that the shooter by your side should not toss their empties in bucket while shooter next to them is shooting.

If the club wants buckets to save labor time, why not have a rule that at the end of each 25, shooters who are tossing shells, dispose of them in the bucket all at once...it achieves same purpose, but causes no pain in the butt to others.

And I dont believe the deal...that if you're a good shooter it shouldn't bother
    you. I've seen some awfully good shooters come unraveled with this situation.

JMO, puablo

6. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I think the buckets look terrible, Whats wrong with the shooters carrying a shell pouch like the ones people use that save the hulls and throw them away at the end of the round

7. whopper1

whopper1 Member

We have buckets at the club where I shoot and I hate the things. It does not take much to distract a shooter be it the noise of the empty shell hitting the bucket or even the motion of the arm throwing the shell. It is very similar to professional golfers not wanting to hear the sound of camera shutters just as they are putting. MY vote-get rid of the buckets.

Dave

8. DBax

DBax TS Member

Ive seen shooters throw the empty in the bucket and set off the voice release while the next shooter is mounting his gun ,

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We keep a couple of target boxes in the club house for disposal of unwanted hulls..serves two purposes..helps keep the range a bit cleaner & provides a source for folks to look that want hulls to reload . The remnants get thrown in the trash and no one had to pick up after the "kids" I understand the reasoning of the buckets but it's just another source of irritation on the line for those that are easily annoyed..another excuse for their misses. The shooters all have pockets or shell bags & with a little reminder, maybe, a little sign on the field,
    "Please, pick up your empties" and they will all use them.

Big Jack

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Not a big deal? Definitely does bad things for the harmony of a well run shoot.
    puablo.

11. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have had voice release targets set off by the guy to my left tossing empty hulls into a cardboard box ( empty target box ) every time I was ready to call for a target. This was just practice and was so annoying I did not shoot a second round. I can't understand why anyone would use a 5 gallon plastic bucket as it would make even more noise and set targets off..........

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Crab, I agree wholeheartedly. Several clubs in this area went with "bucket brigades" a few years ago but the shooters complaining about the noise quickly put an end to them.

Ed

13. Fireball

Fireball Member

I don't mind them as long as the club has put some carpet or other sound dampening insert into the bucket otherwise they do make some noise. I also wait until the shooter next to me has shot then I toss the enpty into the bucket. A little common sense goes a long way. Dave

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Buckets make it easier if shell clean up is mandatory.

15. overbored

overbored Member

We put buckets at our little club but no one could hit them!!!

OverBored

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The buckets are great, especially when they are full of once fired AAs or STSs. HMB

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just don't kick the bucket!

18. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

all the clubs I go to have the little plastic shopping baskets on the line instead of buckets , far less noise , and some of the lazy a$$es still can't hit them .

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Those are for shells? No wonder people got upset when I pissed in one.

20. RLC323

RLC323 Member

They are for empty hulls? I thought maybe they were big spitoons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

picking up shells on the trap line

trapline bucket ideas