1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,here's the scoop.I shoot a browning Sporting Clay Special Edition for trap at the moment.During a club shoot ,during my last station,a friend asked if I wanted to try his BT 99,(they all know I have a bug about getting another gun)Only hit 2 out of the 5.He claimed I was shooting High.Another friend wants me to try his(an older BT 99)he claims it shoots flat.

The question is??

If the older one shoots flat.And this newer one shoots high.How is one to pick the right gun? What years did they shoot flat,and what years and how much change in POI did Browning put into them?

Only other gun I've shot was Zoli during a league shoot.I was too slow on the draw and didn't buy the gun.I actually shot better with it than I did with my gun in the league shoot that day.

Doug H.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Just my $0.02...

Trap guns will shoot "higher" than sporting guns... there are a couple BT years which I understand patterned higher than others...

So... you may have been shooting "high" because you were emulating the sight picture from your SE... unless you make whatever gun adjustable, you'll have to learn to shoot the gun you have...

Jay

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The kid that won the $100,000 at Sparta this year was shooting Sporting Clays Special Edition. Just sayin. Mark

4. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Browning has changed the POI over the years as trends have changed. The only way to know how a gun shoots for you is to pattern it and to shoot it. You can always change the POI if you don't like it.

Find a gun in good shape and do what you have to do to make it fit you and your style of shooting.

Good luck.

5. Duck

Duck Member

Doug,

I believe the Browning high shooters were produced in the mid to late 70s.
    serial numbers with R in them 1975'-RV, 76'-RT, 77'-RR 78'-RP 79'-RN
    I can only speak for the 77'-RR, for me it shot 80/20 foolishly (typical trapshooter!) I traded for something flashier, newer, latest, you know.
    I just bought another old BT from a friend on here so I'm coming full
    circle again. Hows that saying go We get to Soon Oldt and to Late Schmart!.

6. warren

warren Member

The only way I know to find out where you gun is shooting is to pattern it, it's just a matter of setting it up then it only take a few minutes but then you will know for sure

warren

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Mark,,,

LMAO,,yeah I know and made the mistake of telling my wife that.So she says,,seee it's NOT the gun.Makes it hard for me to come up with a GOOD reason why I need another gun.

The fella that wants me to try and buy his wants me to try it,because it has a release in it.He seems to think it'll smooth things out for me.I've run 25 straight,but it's been a year since that.Always seems to be a target or 2 that get away from me.I swear I have ADD,Adult attention deficit,I can seem to concentrate only so long,then there's a blip,and I know exactly(usually) what I did wrong.

Doug H.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The same BT will shot to different a POI for different people. With an adjustable comb it will shoot to the desired POI you want.

9. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

I just bought a new one with the adjustable comb. I've shot the same model 12 for 27 years off and on and I just can't take the beating any more. Hope it helps, wish me luck.

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I shoot a 1979 BT99, shoots high for me, But for my brother in law it shoots flat.

Has monte carlo stock.

If you like the gun, pattern it, then make adjustments if needed so you hit with it the way you like.

just about everyone site's different, just part of the game.