1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 True Story

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goldenkc, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

I have been shooting Trap & Skeet for years with a Browning 802ES, O/U.. I have always been an average shooter, never shot a 25 straight. The Gun Club doesn’t hand out trophies at the end of shooting season, usually shooting cards for the 1st & 2nd place. We usually show up and shoot our league round, and go home. It has never been much of club atmosphere. Anyway I decided to quit shooting there, after I received a call
    from a friend at another Trap Club in our area saying that a young team was in need of another shooter. This Club shoots only trap no skeet, so I decided to purchase a used BT99 that I have noticed on this site some of you recommend for a good starter trap gun. The first night of league I met the team members, and the team captain jokily says they have a tradition, that if the new guy doesn’t shoot a 25 straight the first night he has to buy drinks for the team that evening. Anyway I was a bit anxious shooting a BT99 that I had not shot before, and being the oldest(I’m 59 yrs. young) new member on the team, I was just hoping not to embarrass myself. When the team finished shooting the team captain came up to me and asked how I did. I said I thought I shot alright, and then the score keeper brought the score sheet over to me, and said nice shooting. I had shot my first 25 straight, and needless to say I received free drinks the rest of the evening. We only shoot 8 scheduled nights, so it is a short season. My new team got 1st Place in our division shooting handicap league(each received nice padded gun case). My average for the season was almost 22, so you can see I’m not a sharp shooter . I enjoy reading the threads on this site, and picking tips for improving my scores. Looking forward to improving next season, and shooting the BT99 more.
    Thanks for the advice on the BT99, and shooting handicap.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Good performance and hope you just keep getting better. Jackie B.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That's a great story. Congradulations on the 25. Bulge.

4. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

A really good shooter once told me that a BT-99 was as close as you could get to a Perazzi for the money. They have always been fine guns and will last many lifetimes.

Congrats on the shooting. It should get even more fun now that you have confidence in your gun!

Keep breakin' them!

Gene

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Congrats on your first 25. BT99 is a good trap gun for the money. If you ever want to take a step up keep your eyes open for a nice BT100. I shot my first 100 straight with one. Now I'm working on 200 straight with a TM1. I've come close 3 times with 199's. Anyhow, keep up the shooting and make sure your having fun.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Browning may have made a marketing mistake when they introduced the BT-99. It was the first modern single barrel trap gun widely available. If they had priced it at $2,500 25 years ago, shooters would have believed that it was a truly great gun. Mechanically, it is but the modest price convinces many that it is not as good as a Perazzi. Few remember that it was the stocks, not the steel part of the gun, that made Perazzi popular.

Pat Ireland

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Way to go goldenkc, I hope you get many more 25's. I agree with you, this is a great site to pick up shooting info!

8. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

good shooting, good story

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I am glad you got your 25 BUT I am glad you made new friends and a pleasant atmosphere as well

10. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

GoldenKC....that was a nice story and I hope you get many more 25's in the future. Don't forget you probably had something to do with pointing that fine BT-99 in the right places!......Uncle Sam, Pa.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Well done.

12. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Thanks for the encouragement, and the kind responses to my experience.

Keith

13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

KC I think it was two fold Gun Fit right and new sqaud help bring you to a higher level. Some flower in competition. Jon

14. ive never ran um

ive never ran um TS Member

you did very well for your first league shooting congrat's you said that someone told you a bt was a good starting gun, well i have been shooting one for over 34 years, it is the only trap gun i own. and i have had some good scores and more bad scores, but i love the game. again congratulation on your shooting o by the way i am in my middle 60s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.