1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 time for rebuild?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tburrey, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I have a 2002 BT99 that has the lever in the center (sometimes a little too the left) when the action is closed. The gun locks up tight. One of my trapshooting buddies says that I don't need a rebuild just to get the lever back to the right. He has two brownings that he has bought new and has shot only for a year or so and he says both of his Browning now have there lever in the middle too. He said to have a gunsmith check it out and see if it needs a rebuild. Just because the lever is in the center or a little to the left when closed does not mean the gun needs a rebuild. Makes sense to me. Anyone else have experience with this?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Suit yourself but I would get a locking block rebuild when the top lever is in the center.

3. dzneff

dzneff Member

Do Not Rebuild unless the lever is to the left. In the past 30+ years, I have purchased 4 new break action guns from various makers, and 4 used guns, and all had the lever centered,and all locked up tight when received and after firing 50,000 or so rounds in each gun. Just my experience.
    Dennis

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I recently bought a BT-99 that had the lever resting dead center. Gun WOULD NOT lock up tightly. Not the end of the world. BT's are good guns that require little service and that service is VERY REASONABLE compared to many other guns. Cost of new lock, springs, clean & lube by my gunsmith was $130 plus shipping. Seller of gun swore gun locked tightly. I do not feel he tried to deceive me, just that many can not tell if action is a worn and little loose. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.