1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99+ Sticks After Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JD Jake, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I recently bought a used BT-99 Plus. Today I used it for the third time and after I'd take a shot, the gun was very difficult to break open. Before a shot is taken, the action opens easily.

Any ideas on the cause of this problem and how to fix?

Thanks,

JD

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Sounds like the recoil is setting one piece of metal against another tighter than it should be. Clean all the oil and grease off all the mating surfaces and coat them with a dry erase black marker. Shoot the gun and open to see where the black coating has been rubbed away, that should give some indication of where the problem may lie.

Eric

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

JD, Most likely the angle where the locking lug fits into the corresponding notches is slightly out of spec. When fired, the lug works itself deeper into the notches and makes it difficult to open. When it does release you probably feel a "POP" in the lever. If the gun was recently rebuilt the locking lug angle was not machined correctly.

One other possibility comes to mind if the lever releases smoothly but the action is hard to open. I have a Ljutic and a Mauser SBT that both have tight chambers. When I shoot brass base shells everything works easily and smoothly. If I shoot the cheaper steel base shells these guns are very hard to open because the steel base sticks in the chamber and requires a lot of force to remove.

Hope this helps, Marc

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

JD, Its sounds as if it may be a ejector problem, in the reciever or the forearm. I'm not a gunsmith. But it sounds like you should have a good one look at the gun before it gets damaged. It might have been there before you bought the gun. A simple degreaseing and regreaseing with new may be all thats needed. Grease wears out over time, and will cause moveing parts to wear out faster than normal. Cold temps will increase this effect. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. JRW

JRW Member

Check the end of the shell is firing pin staying out and making gun hard to open. You would see a drag mark on shell. Jerry

6. Arkie

Arkie Member

I have a Stain. BT 99 PLus, and what it sounds like to me is your shootting the cheap steel headed shells because mind does the same thing. You could have some shells that were shot in a different gun and your sizer needs tighten. Have a good winter hope it warms up soon. Rick

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its irrepairably broken...you can send it to me so the parts won't go to waste

8. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

Arkie,

I am shooting steel headed shells (factory Gun Clubs). The shell doesn't stick in the barrel. The problem is that the gun is hard to break open. Once I break open the gun, the shell comes out fine. Is that what happens to you?

Luvtrapguns,

The lever does release fine, but it is hard to break the gun open. Is what I've described to Arkie the same problem you have experienced?

JD

9. redhawk

redhawk Member

Feel the shells around the primer after you get it open to see if there is a little piece of metal sticking up from the primer.I had an over/under that this happened to,it would pierce the primer ever so small that you could feel it and it would stick in the firing pin hole.

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

JD, Exactly. The steel based shells are expanding and remaining tight in the bore. When you attempt to open the gun the ejector must raise the shell before it ejects. This requires a higher effort than normal making the gun hard to open.

My Ljutic will have problems with Walmart Federals but works perfectly with STS, AA, and even Kemen shells. Past posts have addressed this subject. It was reccommended to keep the chamber VERY CLEAN. The advice that made the most sense to me was to have the chamber honed to a slightly larger diameter. This I intend to have done when I send the gun in for a refurbishing.

I should point out that all shells mentioned are factory new, NOT RELOADS.

Marc

11. Arkie

Arkie Member

Thats what mind does with a lot of the cheaper shells works perfect with AA Nitros or Fed. Some guns will shoot any shell and others fight it. The Challagers were the worst in my gun. Thanks Rick

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Sound like your ejector hammer is not being fully cocked. Make sure your gun is fully broke open, load a snap cap or spent shell, and close the action with a good snap. Pull trigger and see how it ejects. Sometimes Browning ejectors won't cock if you ease open and close the action. Wayne

13. Taprackflip

Taprackflip Member

My 10 year old son had the same problem with his BT-99. Everyone at the club had an opinion on what the problem was. Eventually, the gun visited two gunsmiths. The first felt the problem was with the firing pin sticking and remained in the primer after the release lever was used. His solution was to replace the firing pin and spring. This did not work! The second felt it was something to do with the ejector and replaced several parts. This did not work either. Eventually, I took the gun to someone who knew Brownings and he knocked out the cocking lever pin and removed the cocking lever. He compared it to a new one and was able to show the wear on the old lever and the difference between the two. He replaced the part and charged me $30.00 for the job. The gun works great now. I wish I would have taken the gun to him first and saved $200.00.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 lever sticking up

bt 99 plus ejector problem how to remove

bt99 locking lug

how to grease bt-99