1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 shoots left

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by povs9, Jun 3, 2013.

1. povs9

povs9 TS Member

I am using a BT99 to shoot trap with not hard core just like to shoot games and have good time. Only been shooting for 3 years with this same gun. I never was able to really smoke them birds till lately. I shot card board to pattern the gun a month ago found out the gun shoots LEFT! Now by using Kentucky windage I am shooting the best ever, always around 20 out of 25 from the 27. Yes I tried changing the invector choke. Could the barrel be bad? I know my eye is the rear sight but when holding still and lineing up the beads figure 8 on card board the gun shoots left. I guess the gun has been doing this since new 3 yrs ago. Should I send it back? 60 yrs old newly retired and finally have time to shoot.Thanks Hank

2. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

Sounds silly, but make sure your not pulling the gun the left slightly when your pulling the trigger. I have a bt99 plus that shot to the left on the pattern board and I couldn't figure out why until a friend watched me from behind. I shot the gun great and couldn't believe that it could be shooting to the left with the way it smoked clays. Just a thought...

Nick

3. August1940

August1940 Active Member

my new to me bt99 golden clays with 32 inch barrel favors the left side slightly. I patterned it using a bench rest, and the pattern seems to favor the left side of the paper, not a whole lot, but enough to see when looking at the general pattern. Maybe the load I am shooting?? Gun was made in 2008, lightly used, changed chokes between IM and M and Full , all three seem to favor the left a little bit.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I had the same situation once with an XT. Even though the beads lined up and everything looked right it still shot off to one side. I moved the adjustable comb 1/8" in the correct direction. I found the beads still lined up perfectly but the gun shot straight. Just because the beads line up doesn't mean you don't need some correction.

5. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

I just bought a new BT99, i also own a winchester over and under, i put my sightlite SL-100 laser sight (with an oversized fuel injector o-ring) into my winchester to help get an idea of point of impact, in the winchester the red dot is just over the rib and dead center, even if i rotate the sl-100 in any direction, it is dead on perfect, so i got my new BT99, put the laser sight in and the the dot is off to the left about 2" at 15 feet in my basement!, if i rotate the laser the dot remains in the same spot(laser not off center).

im using the same briley chokes in both guns, i did notice when sliding the chokes into the winchester they are nicely snug sliding down into the winchester and a little sloppy sliding into the BT99, and when tight in the BT leaning to the left side of the barrel with a micro gap all around the rest of the choke.

If im off 2" at 15 feet, what am i at 40 yards? i cant hit a barn with this gun, i havent had an opportunity to shoot at a pattening board, and i think i will be sad when i do, i went back to my old gun and ran a perfect game, so much for buying a new gun over a used one......now what the hell do i do with this thing!

6. mich746

mich746 Member

search POI, read and do what Neil says using his 13 yard poi test. Patterning and POI are two different tests. It's a must do to "know" what your gun is doing. Great paper

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

very interesting thread! I wonder what the fix is? It can't be the comb, because the bore sight doesn't lie. Bend the barrel? I heard that this can be corrected by Briley with a choke. Bill in MI

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Several ideas come to mind.

Adjustable comb, you need some cast off, do you have a fat face?

sand off about 1/16" from the left side of the comb.

Have the barrel bent by a professional with a good forked tree.

I'd go with the former if your keeping the gun.

All these assuming your right handed

9. mich746

mich746 Member

Bill: You have to know what the problem is before you can fix it.

Please read Neil's 13 yard POI paper, it's great, a wealth of knowledge, you will enjoy it.

10. wrd

wrd Member

I bought a brand new Grade 3 BT 99 in 09. Couldn't hit anything with it. Finally patterned it from a bench on sandbags. It was hitting between 7 and 8 inches to the left at 30 yards. Two other experienced shooters fired the gun with the same results. Sent it back to Browning. They returned it 3 months later with a letter saying that it was fine. I re-patterned it and it now hits anywhere from 0 to 1 1/2 inches left and 6 to 8 inches high at 40 yards depending on which choke is in there. I find this acceptable. Funny thing, I put the same chokes in my BT 100 and it hits from 0 to 3 inches right and in my XT they are 0 to 3 inches left. BTW, I use the Browning Diamond Grade extended chokes and find that they throw a much better pattern than the original flush mounts.

11. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im still interested to see if anyone has corrected this, @BigM, it's not a cast off issue, i have moved the comb to it's limit to try and help me get in line, It is off so far i have to be leaning over the right side of the rib, the beads are a SIDEWAYS figure 8 before im on the laser dot, and i am thinking about sending it in to browning, just because i no longer am shooting this gun.

@ mich748, i will try this and start a new thread after finding out what it does.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

746... the problem is: it shoots left. Obviously the guy has determined that. It's not a stock related issue. A guy that used to shoot on our league squad had the same problem with a Charles Daly o/u and it shot that way for everybody that picked it up. He solved it by selling the gun. I have read most of Neils patterning notes and this is not a situation where it can be corrected by moving the comb or the stock. Once again, I have heard that Briley can make a choke for you to fix this. Bill

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Have the bbl bent.stafford did...

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Take it to a gun smith that does fitting, he will make it shoot "right" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. mich746

mich746 Member

Slayer: I have to disagree with you, Povs9 shot at a piece of card board to pattern test. This is not how to test POI. Was he on a rest, how far away was he, how many shots did he take.
    Read Neils paper on POI, take the time and follow his instructions.
    It's very possible his gun is shooting left, but there is a big difference between thinking and knowing.

We're just talkin trap here so all is good, but read the paper then tell me I'm wrong.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Get rid of it and move on to another gun.

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Guess u could sell it to a left hander. Hitting hard rights must be tough

18. reilly2101

reilly2101 TS Member

I think you need to sell me the gun cheap

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

povs9,

In my opinion you need to determine if the gun shoots left or if you shoot the gun to the left. To find out for sure, you will need to do Neil Winston's point of impact (POI) patterning exercise.

He explains that you will need to shoot the gun like a rifle using a solid gun rest. Shoot at a plus sign (+) from a distance of 13 yards. Each shot will be at a separate target. You should aim, looking right down thecenter of the rib along the surface with no surface visable. The front bead will be placed on the intersection of the two lines forming the plus.

He advises to carefully squeeze off each shot and not jerk the trigger as you might do when shooting moving targets. Shooting several targets and then carefully measuring how far the center of the hole made by the shot is from the plus sign on the targets and then averaging those distances will give you the information to compute where the center of the pattern will be at 32-35 yards where trap targets are generally broken

If you find that the gun is shooting left more than an inch or two at 35 yards, you will probably want to have the POI corrected by bending the barrel or by having Briley make a choke to correct the gun's point of impact (POI). They could also probably raise the pattern if you want the gun to shoot higher than it does now, given the preferred height of your eye relative to the rib.

Rollin

Search tags for this page

cant hit targets with bt99