1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 Shoots at 100% convert to 50/50%

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr Earl, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

Gentlemen: Please advise me if it is possible to change how my gun shoots. I have patterned it and it shots at 100% above where I aim. Can the stock/comb be changed to shoot 50/50%? I have shoot trap with a model 12 that shoots at 50/50% and would like to convert my BT99 to shoot the same way. Any suggestions?
    Respectfully, Mr Earl

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You need to get your head lower on the stock. Either modify the one you have or get a new stock made. You are probably a larger than average person.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If your BT99 is one of those high shooting guns made in 1976 or 1977 (Serial RR or RT) it is a valuable gun to own or sell, don't mess with it.

If you still have that Model 12, put a straight edge on top of the rib extending back toward the recoil pad and measure the drop at the comb of the stock. Do the same thing for the BT99, this will tell you if the stock fit is the problem. The comb would have to be a whole lot higher on the BT99 to make that much of a difference.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

To lower your POI (point of impact) you'll need to lower the comb and/or
    raise your site...

Sanding down the comb is effective, but not reversable. Adding a MAGNETIC
    Browning HiViz site (I think it's a M400) may do the trick for you and if you don't like it...just take it off. Worked for me.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

All Citoris shoot high for me. My BT as well. The simple fix is an add on rib. You have to either get your face lower on the comb, or raise the plane down which your eye is looking. Unless you have lots of extra comb to whittle down, adding to the rib height is the easy way to flatten your BT out. I'm a pencil neck and have about 3/4" on my BT-99 and it now shoots flat. You may need to raise the front of the rib a touch while leaving the rear flush, so tape it on and carefully create your new point of impact before you fix it in place. Shoot moving targets with your new setup before you accept it as correct. I use black ATV and screw through the front down into the original bead hole, and again into the original mid-bead hole which I tap to 3/56.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Joe speaks the truth.. I don't know if you'll get 50% lower.. but a good 20% I'm sure you'll get..

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go to the link

HM

8. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

Thanks Mike for your suggestions. My 99 is an RT ( 02565RT149) how should I treat this? I have the case and two barrel set.A 32" improved modified and a 34" full choke, adjustable comb. It has some scratches and dings, shots at 100%.
    Earl

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have owned numerous bt99's and and don't ruin your stock by sanding it down. The BT 99 was meant to shoot higher than a field gun or a 50/40 pattern. There are a few ways that you can make this gun shoot flat. Cheapest way, go to a gun smith and ask him if he has couple pieces of rib from an old shotgun. Epoxy the pieces at the front end of the gun and drill a front bead and tap. If you add two pieces of rib at the front, then do the same thing to the middle bead. Another way to make this gun shoot flat have the barrel bent and have it re ribbed. Another way I once saw a high shooting Perazzi changed from 100% high to 60/40 by having a gun smith file out the inside tip of the barrel. Lots of ways to make a gun shot flat. Go to your local hardware store and see if they have a cheap piece of material you can snap over the rib and place a bead on it. The only question I have for you is why would you want your gun to shoot 50/50? Your missing half of your pattern?????????
    Good luck to you. To each his own.
    Steve Balistreri

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

You could talk to Vicky at Keen Sights about an add on rib that will give you a 50/50 POI. JM

11. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Earl:
    How high is the comb raised off the stock now? If there is no gap then you are probably going to have to make a temp. fix on the rib. Shame to bugger up the stock as it will cost you later on. Not many shooters will pay for a gun altered to shoot 50/50. Why not add some mole-skin to your Mod. 12, pattern them to shoot the same, and learn to "aim low"?
    dju

12. GEORGE JACOBSON

GEORGE JACOBSON TS Member

the best way to make your poi lower is to get a delrin plastic rib made for it . must have a reverse taper to it or [make it twice as tall at front bead as it is back at reciever . I had to do that to my 391 beretta parallel step rib due to the90% high poi it came with. laib's in minn. used to do them. call me if you want to disscus it further. regards george j.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Mr Earl, the 1976 Competition Model BT99 was designed by the Browning factory to shoot at least 10 inches high at 40 yards. American Shotgunner Magazine July (or August - September) 1976 issue had a cover feature article describing the benefits of the then new BT99. After a two year period Browning changed the rib to lower the POI again based on user preference for newer shooters. The RR and RT high shooting guns are in demand by long yardage shooters. I would love to own your gun especially as a two barrel set but I'm quite happy with my TMX which incidentally shoots about 80% high at 40 yards. You can keep your gun and do as others suggest by gluing a Keensights rib on top of the existing rib or you could sell it for a good price because now you know that it is in demand by some shooters. IMHO the average shooter will be happy with a trap gun that shoots about 70/30 or 6" high at 40 yards.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a small piece of balsa wood at your local hobby store. Make a small rib about 3 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Put it on the end of your barrel with 2 sided tape. For a front sighgt you can use a small pin with a bead on the end. You can get some of those at a local sewing shop. Color the rib with a black magic marker. Adjust the thickness of the little rib until you get the right POI. If you make the rib a little thicker than needed, you can use your adjustable comb to fine ture your POI. After you get all the adjustments right you can get a new full length add on rib made. HMB

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Custom chokes can lower the POI. I would not hesitate to bend the barrel a little. Barrel bending was quite common in 1970.

But, first I would accurately measure where the gun is now shooting. This must be done from a solid rest using at least five, perhaps 10 targets at 13 yards (some like 20 yards).

For me, a gun that shoots 70/30 is too flat. I like 100% high.

Pat Ireland

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sell it to someone who will appreciate that higher impact-then buy one of the newer BT's that shoot lower. Please do not drill extra holes anywhere in the rib as that will significantly reduce resale value!!

17. Mr Earl

Mr Earl Member

I appreciate all the information you kind gentlemen have provided. Someone suggested I sell this to someone who is interested in a high shooting gun and get one that does not shoot so high. Anyone you know who that is interested and what is someone willing to spend for this, BT99, hard case, 2 barrel set, 32" improved modified, 34" full, with adjustable comb, some minor scratches and dings, very tight in very good condition. Please advise. Mr. Earl

18. maka

maka Member

As previously suggested I would call Vickie at Keen Site. I had a rib made to do just what you want. Just explain to her what you want and they will do it. You attach it with silicone and can be remove latter by running a piece of fish line thru the silicon. I seem to remember it cost with shipping about $100.00 Good luck.

19. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

mr earl- you have a PM--wally riebesell 660-744-4115

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

feild and stream bt 99 gun case

is there anyway to tell if the browning bt99 is set to shoot high