1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Matthew Moser, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

I was just wondering who shoots a BT99 and some of the troubles they are having and some of the things they like about it. Just curious, Matthew.

2. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"I was just wondering who shoots a BT99"

Me, since I received one in Feb. 2007 as a 30 year service award (I LOVE my job!)

"some of the troubles they are having"

None.

"some of the things they like about it."

Everything, except its not very quick for doubles ;)

It is simple to use, no safety or wrong barrel worries (not that these happen to me but I do worry about them).

I like the tigger.

Patterns well with the factory full tube.

Everything works the way it should.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Matthew,

I shoot a BT99 Plus that is 1991 vintage I believe. I have had zero trouble with it. Outside of the cheesy recoil device, it is a fine shooter. I had the ejectors neutralized, as I prefer to reload and not chase down the empties. I am the 2nd owner, having purchased it in an estate sale about 6 years ago. It was obviously pretty low miles when I bought it, and got what I thought was a fair deal on it.

I (like most trapshooters it seems) had to buy more guns, only to confuse myself. I have about a half a large safe full of all grades of shotguns, and won't be happy until I run out of room. However, unless you are hung up on just owning high end guns, I can't think of anything that breaks birds better than my trusty old BT.

Shoot it and be happy, dial it in, and you will be ahead of the rest of us.

4. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

I feel the same way, Didreckson, I love my BT to death. It is the best gun I have owned. I have had some work done to it and that made me love it more. I just think that the BT99 is the best gun for its price
    Thanks!

5. 3357

3357 Member

I recieved my bt-99 in 1975 (nib) as a graduation gift. I have been shooting it continuously since then. I have had a firing pin break once (about 1985)and had the spring changed when that repair was done. No other problems. It is still going strong after about 150,000 rounds. jess

6. Paul641

Paul641 TS Member

I got mine in 1972. Too bad you can't buy one for the price I payed back then!!! Fixed choke-IM smashes targets like a * choke. The only thing I have added over the years is a "Keensights" rib. Changed me from a one eyed shooter to a two eyed shooter. Can't imagine how many rounds I put through this gun?
    50-60k easy. No problems, no breakdowns,load ,call ,shoot,dust (not always but most of the time). Oh to be younger and start all over again. Can't afford a high end gun,don't really need a high end gun,( but I would like to have a "K" or "P" gun just to be up-ity (sp). Maybe in my next life.
    paul641

7. John A. Davis

John A. Davis TS Member

I own 3, SS BT 99 PLus, SS BT 99 and a plain BT99. I have owned 2 Golden Clay models. I am one these guys that trys to buy a game, but I keep coming back to the 99 and repair the average damage done while trying to shoot the higher end guns.

8. SEC

SEC TS Member

Been shooting one for 6 years.
    Switched to a 682 top single...sold it.
    Switched to a 682 over-under....sold it.
    Switched to a TM-1...sold it.

Shooting my BT-99 again.

9. dfm

dfm Member

Have been using a 1979 high shooting Competition version BT-99 since 1996. No problems whatsoever and the gun was well-used before I got my hands on it.

I always laugh out loud when I hear someone say they're going to sell their BT-99 to upgrade. To what? You can buy fancier - but not better!

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I bought one about 2yrs ago just to fill in what I did have. After shooting it for a few weeks if found I really like the gun. Its the old style 99 and just seems to be on target. Is a flat shooter with the low rib. Thats why I bought it. I have all of my trap guns shooting flat. Just enough to see the bird on top of the bead and know more. I don't think you can go wrong on a BT99. Bill

11. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I am curious is anyone on TS shooting the BT 99 with the PFS stock?

Mike

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Not sure (kind-of-dumb) what a PFS stock is but I had my 99 worked over by Scott at HPI, and a add-on-rib also. Could not be more happy with the work or the gun. I am looking at a Browning Combo, not sure if I want the un-single (never shot a un- before) or the top single. $600.00 for a adjustable rib?
    Norman

13. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

What is a PFS stock? Could someone post a picture of one?
    Matthew.

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The only complaint I have is when I mess up it does not make the correction necessary to break the target.

I liked my Daly better maybe because it was my first and second trap target killing machines.

Rock

jim

15. oilburner

oilburner TS Member

Got a BT99HG 2 weeks ago to use while I had my Citori XT repaired. I like it better than the XT and immediately shot better with it. I guess the XT will be the spare/doubles gun.

16. zackman1259

zackman1259 TS Member

I have shoooting a Bt-99 since last year and i love it.
    I have no problems whatsoever.
    Very reliabe trap gun.

Zack Santoro

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Leo's grade6 love it no problems. Bill

18. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

WOW that about says it all !!