1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wproct, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wproct

wproct Member

Hi, new member and first post. Many years ago I briefly owned a BT99 made in 1978. Like a fool, I sold it and always regretted it. I'm thinking of getting back into trapshooting and recently bought a new BT99, was a 2009 shotshow special, 32 in bbl with satin white or silver nitride finish on the receiver, forearm metal, and trigger guard. Question, I notice some differences in the trigger guard from my old one, are the new BT99 shotguns as good as the older ones? Are there significant differences between the new ones and the older guns? Any information or tips on things to be aware of would be greatly appreciated. Haven't shot it yet but spring is just around the corner, I hope.
    Bill

2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I had a 1979 fixed IM barrel and just recently bought a new 2008 golden clays BT-99. Mechanically the same, however I believe that my 79 shot higher. Keep it lubed and clean and you'll be fine. I really like the BT-99's I might but a second one for the hell of it. I wan't one for bad weather shooting. So an older one might be the ticket. I also like the nickle silver barreled ones as well.

3. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

i too shoot a bt99, one thing i have noticed, at least at the smaller clubs i shoot at here in il., their always seem to be a fair number of bt99's setting in the rack, and i am in no way comparing a bt to the grand ole master of trapshooting history the mod.12, but bt's do seem popular some what like the mod 12's were..dk

4. wproct

wproct Member

Thanks for the comments. Back in the 80's when I was actively shooting, the Bt99s were pretty popular and seemed to be pretty much trouble free. I've really been enjoying reading this forum, but had noticed a few complaints about problems with the BT99 forearms breaking screws and coming loose etc., so I just was curious and concerned that maybe their quality had dropped or maybe they had cheapened them in some way.

Again, thanks for the responses, and I am enjoying reading the forum.

Bill

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The 78 did shoot higher. It was the corection to the 77 RR model tht shot 100% high. So Browning did not like addressing all the 77 RR ocmplaints and lowered th rib and the comb. Down to about 80%. In 79 they went to about 70/30 and now they are back to agbout there or perhaps a bit lower.

The important part is that you cna adjust, as long as you understand that you hav to "get into the bird" a bit more. And make sure you do as tigman says and lube the back of the bbl lug.... this point
    [​IMG]
    and the hinge pin and the female and male pivot points
    [​IMG]
    and the slot fo rthe ejector and a bit on the block sides
    [​IMG]

Use wheel bearing grease. BTs thrive on WBG.

6. wproct

wproct Member

Thanks for the pictures MIA, particularly the one showing the forearm of your BT99. I can see that they have made some changes on the forearm attachment hardware on the newest release BT99s. I hope the new ones will be as sturdy as the older ones.
    Bill

7. Murman

Murman Member

Great information, but pardon my ignorance what is "galling". I have less than 600 rounds through my BT99 and I have use Shooters Choice grease to lube all of the important parts, but I don't want to miss anything obvious...

Second my BT99 came with an Invector Plus Full Choke should I get another one? I figure if I'm doing ok with a full choke that would make me better all around or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

8. wproct

wproct Member

Galling occurs when two metal surfaces rub against each other and causes the metal to tear off or roll up. On a BT99 it usually happens on either the curved metal edge on the rear of the forearm, or on the curved front edge of the receiver that it rubs against. It will look like a deep groove on the metal surface.

For my new BT99 I purchased a Briley extended improved-modified choke tube. I thought an improved modified would be a little more forgiving on 16 yard targets. Also I like the extended tube because it has a knurled edge that extends beyond the barrel and allows you to check by hand whether it is still tight in between stations without a wrench.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The new ones have less metal in the forearm iron; aluminum trigger and trigger housing and some parts are castings. These are cost cutting measures that may not actually degrade quality.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a Nickel Laminate BT as my guest gun... the one thing I notice, that is somewhat different is the configuration of the butt stock. The laminated wood stock grabs the back of my thumb just a bit whereas I never has that in my older BT99 stock configurations...

Otehrwise excellent gun and my guests seem to both enjoy the gun and its easy to teach someone to shoot with it...

regards all,

Jay

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The BT99 is destine to be a classic like Model 12's and like Model 12 I like the older ones better than the newer ones. MY FAVORITE BT 99'S are the ones with the invector plus chokes and larger bore with the competition forend. If you want a break open gun for trap these are the cats meow for the money and performance over time. My father once said a very profound thing how good some things are is only determined on how it stands the test of time. A great observation from a engineer with years of mechanical experience and a great Dad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.