1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by White Lightning, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Lightning

White Lightning TS Member

I have "test fired" a new BT99 and love it. However, after firing 24 rounds of "Gun Clubs" I was unable to open the gun to remove the expended shell. It would appear that the steel end expanded in the chamber and would not allow the extractor to function. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Ken

2. Samuel

Samuel TS Member

I also have a new BT99 and havent had your problem. I wonder if its just
    that brand (type) shell causing problem.

Samuel

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

My gf shoots a BT-99 Max and it has not given any problems with Gun Club hulls that I reload (2.5 dram load). Have never shot factory loads through it.

Check if there is a ring ( or slight step) in the chamber. One of the guys has a Kolar and that is what caused problems with steel hulled shells.

Don

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Make sure your 99 doesn't have rust in the chamber. Its not uncommon for the chamber to have a thin coat of rust...Bill

5. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Ken - I have a BT99 and my gun has a tendency to stick sometimes as well. Its somethimes been difficult, but its always opened. I noticed this primarily with factory Gun Clubs and a little bit with the STS's that I've started to reload. I keep everything well lubed and there is not a ring in the chamber, so I can rule those out.

6. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I recently bought a new BT-99 and noticed that it was quite "stiff" this plus a rough chamber could cause your problem, but I have never had a problem with the factory steel based Gun Club shells. I do however prefer the older gun club hulls with the brass base for their ease of resizing.

7. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Check to make sure your firing pin is retracting fully. Also, make sure the firing pin isn't puncturing the primer and that it isn't too sharp. My wife's BT had those problems when new - solution was to replace firing pin, all springs, and thoroughly clean the firing pin bushing.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ken- Was your problem with difficulty in opening the gun or could you open it but the hull would not extract. If you could not open the gun, I would first suspect a firring pin problem. If you could open the gun but the hull was stuck in the chamber, it is a rather common problem with steel headed shells. The problem is a chamber that is slightly larger, but still within specifications, and allows the steel to expand. Many of us have guns that will not extract some brands of discount shells that have steel heads.

Pat Ireland

9. White Lightning

Thanks guys, I appreciate you input. Pat, the difficulty was most likely the latter. I was able to break the gun open and the firing pin was clear. I believe that the extractor was unable to push the hull from the chamber and as a result the gun would not open. Each time, I removed the forearm and then the gun would open. On a couple occasions the shell was stuck in the chamber the rest of the times it popped right out. I did try my STS reloads with no incidents. I am taking the gun to a gunsmith tomorrow along with a box of "Gun Clubs". I will have them fire al the shells and see if it will cooporate. I'll let you know what I find out. I realy like the gun and hit 24 out of 25 in a practice round. I intend to buy the gun but hope that the shells are the problem. I'll let you all know how things work out tomorrow at the gunsmith.

Ken

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ken- Let me do some guessing, and tell me if I am correct. First, the gun works well with STS shells (brass head) and will not work with Rem Gun Clubs. It would probably work well with Federal and AA hulls but not the discount Winchester Hulls. Estate shells might work. They seem to have a thicker steel head, but RIO shells will not work. Challenger discount shells will work, they have a brass head. If all of the above is true, your BT-99 will shoot the same shells as my K-80.

When shot in a slightly over sized chamber, the steel head will expand and stick in the chamber. I don't remember if the cocking rod is related to the ejector in a BT-99- I do hope you did not bent that.

BT-99 is a fine shotgun for singles and handicap. It does have a design problem that makes it difficult to shoot doubles.

Pat Ireland

11. White Lightning

Pat, I took it to the GS and they were inclined to agree with your assessment. I took them two boxes of the shells I was using and left it for them to fire (won't get it back for three weeks). As for doubles, very funny analysis. I currently use my field gun, a Citori with 28" barrels and I am saving up for a trap gun. I'll let you know the outcome...thank you for the response.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.