1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bt99 plus problems will not extract most empties

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rc38340, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc38340

rc38340 TS Member

i have a bt99 plus that is giving me problems of not extracting empties
    i am not using steel based hulls most are sts hulls, i have to use a hull knocker to get empties our of barrel would like to know if anyone else has had this concern and who would you advise to work on this gun concern and who could to the repairs

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sounds like it may be time for a chamber sleeve!!

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Feel inside the chamber. In about 1/2 to 3/4" if there is a groove it needs a sleeve installed.

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Try polishing the chamber. Put a slit in a wooden dowel. Wrap
    240 grit wt/dry paper around it. Using your drill, polish the
    chamber area. You can't hurt the chamber using this method
    and it may cure your problem.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What is the recipe for your load ( you did say "hulls")?

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had the same prob with a 90T, had a smith polish it and still did it. I bought a Mec Super Sizer and problem is gone

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are they reloads?

8. CBaker

CBaker TS Member

I also shoot a bt99 and have the same problem with STS hulls. I just assumed it was because I didn't re-size the hulls while reloading. I have not shot new STS hulls yet, have you had problems with new STS hulls also or just reloads?

Curtis Baker

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why on earth do you not resize your cases? That is just asking for problems? Jeff

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

More info needed...is it a reload? specific brand of hull or factory load?? ..if theres no ridge in the chamber which I've never seen happen in a 99...you might want to check the ejector hammer..the hammer spring(weak or broken or corroded)..all in the forearm...saw where one was never lubed and it just had enough drag in it to keep the ejector force down enough to not kick out a swelled hull...a unsized reloaded round will also catch and wrinkle on the edge of the chamber occasionally when the action is closed on it...resizing will help,..polishing the chamber never hurts and just check things over to make sure you're mechanically ok...oh,..almost forgot to tell you to make sure ejector retaining screw isnt losening and causing the ejector to drag in its channel...let us know what you find as this is great info for those new 99 shooters and old guys like me who wont ever give up those sweet old single barrels

11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Yea Curtis why didn't you resize??

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've never experienced that issue in my BT-99's but helped a buddy of mine out with his using a method somewhat like sky buster has done. He was using Brass bases also. He has been fine ever since. I've seen countless guy get the cheap Winchesters get stuck or stiff coming out of just about everything out there. Polish your chamber and make sure you resize and you should be o.k. Your BT-99 is a great gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.