1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 open choke up some or not

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I have an older gun made in the 80's with the larger forearm. It has a fixed full choke. Checked the bore and choke and the choke is 45 thousands. I shoot the gun for 16's and handicap and am pondering having the choke opened up to a lighter full at 35 thousands or maybe even go with choke tubes. I know if your on them your on them but I think I might do a little better on singles and handicap with a full choke not so tight. What do you think? Thanks. Tom

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Over a 20 year time period I had four different BT-99s. Two were Full Choke and two were Improved Modified. I ended up selling the two that were Improved Modified because my scores were not as good as with the Full Choke guns. You are speculating that your gun will shoot a sweeter pattern with a more open choke by measuring the constriction instead of examining the pattern at the distance you break Handicap targets. I think you should pattern the gun before doing anything with the barrel.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Pattern your gun if your have a 28 or 30 inch pattern at 36 yards just use it . A more open choke will not help you .

KEYBEAR

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Don't mess with it. John

5. 27hotrod

27hotrod TS Member

You would be better off selling that gun to me and buying you one with choke tubes.

6. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

It all depends on your barrel legnth. If you have a longer barrel, use a little wider choke. I have a 32 inch barrel and I shoot an improved/modified. It works just fine for the way I shoot. If I were you, I would expierment with different chokes and ammunition.
    -Matthew

7. BMC

BMC Member

I was recently considering your same thoughts Tom. I bought a BT100 with fixed full choke, 34-inch barrel. I patterned it before I ever pointed it at a target. At 30 yards the pattern was roughly 15-18-inch in diameter. I was used to a larger pattern from a modified. It had me a bit spooked at first. I shot it for a few weeks to give it a chance and the results were okay, but I felt I was leaving a target or two due to the super tight pattern. I planned on having it tubed so I could shoot a more open pattern. My friends kept telling me to hold off, hold off, don't tube it for a while, just keep shooting it. I've shot it pretty much exclusively for the last three months and I can honestly say that I've gotten better and better with it, to the point I believe it has made me a better shooter. Running 25s is no problem now and man does it smoke some targets. There is no way I would mess with the choke on this gun now.
    I think Shootlow is correct, find a load the gun likes and it gets even sweeter.
    Brian.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Though I can't think why MM connects barrel-length to choke, miketmx and others have the program right.

1) Pattern it off a rest, many shots, and see if you like where it's shooting.

1a If it is, leave it alone. If you mess with the choke, it may shoot somewhere else and you will be way behind. Understand that at best you may move a dozen+ pellets from the inside where there are plenty to the outside where there are too few. You may move a dozen/20 out there, raising the concentration, for example, from 0.32 pellets/sq in to 0.36 pellets/sq in. On the other hand, maybe nothing will change at all. Except, maybe, the POI.

2) If you don't like where it's shooting, decided if it is too high or low or too much to one side.

2a If it is too much to the side, sell it.

2b If it is too low, add some moleskin and shoot it for another month to see how the scores are changed, if at all.

2c If it is too high, lower the comb if you can, sand it if you have to, and if you are already down flat on the rib, sell it.

Neil

9. SEC

SEC TS Member

I would leave it as it is. I have tubes in my bt-99 and only shoot with the full choke anyway. If you feel you just have to try something else, go with tubes...that way you can go back to the full choke.

10. tburrey

tburrey Member

Appreciate everyone's comments so far. Took my gun to the range yesterday and put it on paper at 40 yds. Beautiful pattern about 80/20 POI about 30 bb holes outside the 30 inch circle mostly at the top half about equal on both sides. Left and right gun shoots right on. Tom

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to Neil!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.