1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wproct, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wproct

wproct Member

For owners of BT99 shotguns who break them down to put them in a hard case. What practice to you use to relieve the hammer spring tension? I heard of one owner who places a coin over the firing pin to absorb the firing pin strike when pulling the trigger. Do most of you just put a snap cap in and pull the trigger and leave the gun assembled in a gun cabinet or safe? Just curious what is the best practice for releaving the tension on the hammer spring without causing damage to the firing pin? Sorry for the simple question. Thanks for any advice.

2. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Use a snap cap or an empty before breaking the gun down. When the forearm is removed, the gun won't cock. Bob K

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Snap Cap. Red ones. Aluminum.

Place snap cap in gun. Pull trigger. remove forearm. Separate barrel from action. Place in case.

When I put it in the safe, I put it together, put in snap cap. Pull trigger and put the assembled shotgun in safe.

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I use a federal paper hull for a snap cap and put it in the safe.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I just pull the trigger. Works every time.

6. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I went to the lumberyard and bought some pine 5/8" square trim and cut it into 2.5" pieces. The square shape holds secure against the receiver face for the firing pin to strike so you can relieve the spring tension after the gun is broken down.

7. Barry

Barry Member

I've always used a rubber eraser against the breech and pulled the trigger.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have owned a BT-99 for 35 yrs.
    My suggestion is a "wooly snap cap". BT-99"s and Citori's [esp. older ones]
    have chambers that are easily rusted from condensation etc...
    Must be that high quality japaneese steel from old american cars. LOL
    Anyway kill two birds with one stone, snap cap for the firing pin and oiled
    material for the chamber.
    My 2 cents......

9. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Dropping the hammer on a snap cap or empty shell and then removing the forearm is the easiest method. A cheap snap-cap can be made by inserting a pencil eraser in a de-capped empty shell and cutting it off flush (a little glue may be necessary).

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I have used the red aluminum snap caps suggested by Warpspeed, but pretty soon the 'primers' are indented so much that I question whether the firing pin is making any contact, so that it's the same as a dry-fire. I think Coveybuster has the best idea, with the wood block; easy and cheap to make and will never be confused with a live round.

LA in MA

11. wproct

wproct Member

Thanks for all the input. I found an old square rubber eraser that I put in my case for the time being. I may get some small pieces of pine as suggested and give that a try as well. Thanks again.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'll never forget the time this old buzzard put a snap cap in his gun, then suddenly snapped it closed with the muzzle pointing directly at several people and pulled the trigger. I didn't even bother chewing him out. At that age (he looked early seventies) if one hasn't learned about muzzle control one is never going to.

13. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

If the gun is dis-assembled and the hammer is cocked I place the plastic butt end of a screwdriver firmly against the firing pin hole and pull the trigger. This cushions the pin and offers enough enertia to prevent pin/receiver damage. Marc

14. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Terry Jordan from Canada who makes the wall chart to practice with has the best reccomendation yet: Take an empty hull (or maybe 6) and pop out the primer. Cut off the crimp and take a tube of silicone and give it a squirt in the primer hole. Let cure for 3 or 4 days. The cured silicone will provide a perfect cushion for the firing pin. Have made several, the work well and you can't beat the price. Dave Hunt

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dry fire and have never had a problem in 30 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 action jamed

bt 99 maintenance

how do you cock a bt 99

how to cock a bt 99 action

loosening action of bt99

maintenance on a bt 99