1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 LOOSE LEVER REPAIR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by E. Beaver, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I noticed that my lever would occasionally move when I fired my BT99. After looking into ts.com and other related websites it boiled down to the following possibilities: Weak or broken lever spring. Excessive oil. A broken lever dog.

Some other tips I picked up during my search were: Goggle BT99 and the part you are interested in. i.e. BT99 lever dog as it results in more information than just BT99 repair etc. To separate the upper and lower receiver remove the cocking lever pin in the side of the receiver. Make sure the gun is cocked before separating the upper and lower receiver. The screw holding the lever dog in place is very tight. Make sure you have a well fitting screwdriver and preferably one that is attached to a wrench.

When I removed the stock I found that the lever dog, that’s the part that connects the lever to the locking bolt, was in two pieces. It was originally brazed together.

I used a twist tie to hold the trigger guard in place to prevent bumping the trigger. The cocking lever pin was driven out using a punch with a rounded tip to minimize marking the end of the pin. A couple of light taps with a punch on the inside of the lower receiver loosened it.

A screwdriver came in handy for removing the lever spring. I used a ¼” socket set with a well fitting screwdriver bit to loosen the screw holding the lever dog to the lever. I put a fair amount of muscle into it and it did not move, then I tried to tighten it and the screw moved slightly, then, I reversed direction and it came loose.

A 3” pocketknife was used to pry the lever dog away from the lever. The lever dog is a $20.00 item but it was Sunday and being somewhat resourceful I brazed the separated parts back together. Propane was not hot enough so I used my gas torch.

The internals were thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled. The gun was assembled in reverse order. When you install the lever dog it must fit in the locking bolt at the same time. Feeding the lever dog from the inside of the receiver made mating the parts easy. Make sure the lever moves freely after you tighten the screw. The receiver parts lined up automatically and a #16 drill was used to align the cocking lever. The cocking lever pin was tapped in using the rounded punch.

After the gun is fully assembled use a snap cap to ensure everything is working, as it should. Then to the trap range to make noise and break targets.

Charlie

2. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Just thinking, was this thread helpful to anyone?

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt-99 repair video

bt1793950 installation bt99 top lever dog

bt99 top lever loose

loose trigger guard on bt99