1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT99 Lever Position? (New Style BT99)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rem870TB, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I am interested to compare notes with the lever position, with respect to being right of center, on BT99's made after 2000.

These are the guns with extractors only and no engraving.

Mine is .050" right of center after firing 2,000 to 3,000 shells.

I did not take an initial measurment when new, unfortunately.

My measurement method was to use a vernier caliper to check the width of the tang immediately behind the end of the break lever. Measure from the right side of the tang to the center of the end of the break lever.

The difference is the .050" mentioned.

I did a visual check on an early 1970's gun at a shoot today, the owner bought it new and has shot it quite a bit, visually, without measurement, it is more than .050" to the right.

My gun;

- carries the 2005 date code, acquired new, Feb. 2007

- locks up tight

- is kept clean and lightly lubricated

- closed, not slammed shut

- shot exclusively with 1150 fps, 1 oz loads

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

With most production guns, the top lever can sit in varied positions, from the factory. Brownings, being always "tight" from the get go, the top levers are generally pointing at the seam of the wood and top tang.

Stating that you measured using a calipers, most shooters will refer to the top lever positions as....5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, or anywhere in between. 6:00 would be pointing down the center of the top tang.

The one thing that will determine how well and how long the top lever will sit in one position for 1000's of rounds is how well the locking bolt was fitted. It's crutial that the bolt's angle and the jugs on the bbl are flat, and that the two mate to one another as close to 100% as possible.

I would worry with yours...at least for right now. You should be able to get 20,000-25,000 more rounds through it.

Doug Braker

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

GunDr

Thanks for the answer.

It wasn't as far over to the right to begin with, compared to my Citori's.

I'd call mine at "5:30"

I have a reference on it and will check it against that now, once and a while.

"I would worry with yours...at least for right now. You should be able to get 20,000-25,000 more rounds through it."

That's not great, if that happens, that will be only 27,000 rounds; my Wife's 1100TA did 40,000 with just one link and an O ring, the link was replaced at a shoot by me, back in action in 3 minutes, O ring was a "pro-active" replacement.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Brings up another question, My 2000built XT was stated by previous owner, USED. Locks up tight shoots great. The tang I would say is pushing 6:00. Now my question. If I close the action while holding the lever to the right I get great lock up lever at 5:00. When I just close it normally the lever is more to 6:00. I have a verbal on this gun. Was told If I wear this gun out he will buy it back. I am in no way concerned about this, it just intrest me.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

maclellan1911, "If I close the action while holding the lever to the right I get great lock up lever at 5:00". When the lever is held the gun will not lock up tight. The fact that it locks up at 6;00 otherwise demonstrates that.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Rem870,

Forgive me!!!!! I did not mean to type.."I would worry". It should have said, "I would NOT worry."

My two finger typing tends to get me in trouble once in awhile.

Doug Braker

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Maclellan1911,

What a deal!! Everygun will eventually wear...including the Citori. Holding the top lever while closing the gun, does not allow the gun to lock up as tight as it should.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yeah , its only a verbal. I think he knows I will not shoot it enough to wear it out, Im at 2000 to 2500 rounds a year tops. Plus he knows I take care of my stuff.

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.