1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bt99+ Hing Pin Replacement ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by parrot man, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrot man

parrot man TS Member

Hi Guys,
    How much would you consider paying to have a hinge pin replaced in this gun? I had a guy at a shop quote me a price of 300.00 bucks. I think that is sort of high but not sure. The Firearm was made in 1989 so it's an older model

I live in Upstate N.Y. so I would like some recommendation's that ain't to far away.

Also another question, can a receiver be chromed to a high polish like a set of mag wheels, or maybe even the recoil reducer. If chromed it would probably fill in all the scrolling on it would it not.

Thanks for the Replies,
    beakman

2. Wentez

Wentez Member

Beakman,

Do you want the gun tightened or do you absolutely know you need the hinge pin replaced? Art is the expert - ask him.

Geo Wentz

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I had my BT-99 tightened up by Art's. I don't know if a new hinge pin was installed but it was as tight as a new one, cost $300.00, I believe it was worth it...Bill

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely the joint roll pin has worn. I've seen and worked on some pretty "ratty" BT-99's, and none EVER needed a pin.

If the pin was worn, more likely the hook on the bbl, you would see a significant gap in the breech face.

If the gun feel very loose and wobbly while it's open, it's the lug on the bbl that has worn. $100 can tighten this up.

If the bbl is loose, while locked into the receiver, then the locking bolt needs rebuilding ($125).

Most times, especially on the BT, both areas wear out about the same time.

Lastly, A high polished nickel or chrome, just doesn't look nice. What ever engraving you have on the receiver, will tend to look "wash out" even though it's not. A satin nickel will keep the highlights in the engraving. A satin chrome, will also, but satin chrome has more of a gray/stainless look.

Both process apply a very thin plated surface, less than .0005.

Here are a few pics of satin nickel guns.....

http://dougsgunsmithshop.com/index.cfm/pageid/15

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.