1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bt99 closing Kaboom

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by andrew pofahl, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew pofahl

andrew pofahl TS Member

Three times in the last 300 birds my Bt99 went off as soon as i closed my gun... it was always pointed at the trap house, but holy crap batman, i almost had to change my shorts... i am not 100% sure i didnt accidentally hit the trigger, but seeing as though i have been shooting for three years and have not had it happen once, that it was probably the gun. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Could the firing pin not be pulling back all the way and then the force of the gun closing setting off the primer? Any suggestions would help. Thanks. Bunker

2. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Has anyone ever "tuned" the trigger? If not, could be some crud or wear.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Usually a buildup of crud that needs to be removed by first driving out the receiver pin. Then remove the lever at the receiver bottom and look for a buildup of powder particles in front of the sear. Flush repeatedly and re-assemble. Your problem should be solved!!

4. andrew pofahl

andrew pofahl TS Member

Thanks for the advise. I trust my local gunsmith and maybe i will bring it to him for a "professional" cleaning... I have about 10,000 rounds through it since i purchased it, so i guess its time for a once over. Its a good thing thing that i did not hit the electrical box that feeds the house with power!! Bunker

5. andrew pofahl

andrew pofahl TS Member

wouldn't the gun club carry insurance for instances like this, or is the insurance for liability only? Not that i would try to weasel out of fixing whatever i broke, but was just curious. Bunker

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As others have stated, "it most likely needs a thorough cleaning is all".

7. porky

porky TS Member

Andrew, I have found that BT99's can develop a surface coating of rust on the internal action of the gun. Since the hammer and sear are two of the critical moving parts, the rust can collect at the point where the hammer locks at the sear, but I don't mean that this is a serious rusting problem. It just happens from time to time. Take the gun apart and the stock off the action. Use a Q-tip and WD40 to clean the metal with. After cleaning, flush with the WD40, then get a air compressor and spray everything off. It helps if the compressor uses an air stone to remove moisture from the compressed air. After cleaning the WD40 and sediment off the action, use REM Oil and another Q-tip to coat all the metal parts, use a very light grease on the point where the hammer locks on the sear.
    That's it, shoot well.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Depending on the age of the gun, the sear on the hammer could be worn out and that would mean putting a new hammer in the gun which for a gunsmith is not a big deal ... The good cleaning is always a good first thing to do and the cheapest by far ... Take an air hose and blow the crap out of it and see if that helps ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. The Shadow

The Shadow TS Member

Many years ago, my BT99+ did the same thing. At that time I was reloading Red Diamond powder, which is now obsolete. When I took the stock off to look inside, it was filled with little red diamond flakes. That was when I found out that they were used for ID purposes. I just flushed it out real good & it was just fine. I did that about every 6 months & never had another problem

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

BT-99's were once notorious for that. Having never owned one I don't know the cause, nor the fix, but it certainly gets the firing line nervous.

Buz

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I've had it happen two different times on my BT99. The first time it was caused by a the firing pin hanging up. This is an easy fix and can be done yourself. Just be careful with the hammer spring.

The second time was due to some internal part wearing out. I sent it to Art's in MO and all is good. Mine had many tens of thousands rounds through it than yours does. Sounds like yours will just need a good cleaning.

good luck

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

That gun is toast ... fried ... worn out and is now useless.

Search around TS.com for a new weapon of your choice. Do not worry about price cause the more expensive the gun the better shot you will be and dont worry if it is a plain jane gun or not cause the more you accesorize it the better shot you will also be or ... it sounds like you need to do a thorough cleaning of your BT-99 including the little hole that the pointy things peeks through when you pull the lever down below the inside the hoopy thing.

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Andrew you said "i am not 100% sure i didnt accidentally hit the trigger".
    Remeber you should never have your trigger finger in the trigger guard until the gun is acually mounted. Scares me how many shooters today do NOT follow that practice. Of course the other reasons are probalby the problem. Safety though is everyones concern.

14. Tally

Tally TS Member

Had the same thing happen to me a year ago. I was on station 1, closed my BT-99 to call for the target and the thing went off. My first reaction (after I calmed down) was that I had my finger near the trigger and accidently touched the trigger as I closed the gun. But, a friend who was shooting on station 2 to my right said " you're finger was no where near the trigger". I then put another shell in the gun and closed it. Bang once again. I then decided enough is enough. Next day I left the gun with our local gunsmith. He called me the next day to come pick it up. When I arrived, he looked at me and said "I've never seen one that dirty before. I had to put the trigger in the ultrasonic cleaning tank".

Anyway, the gun has worked just fine since and an added bonus was a noticeable improvement in the trigger. The lesson I learned was to be more thorough and frequent in my cleaning of all my shotguns...

Just my 2 cents.

tally

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Red Dot users beware!!

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A thorough cleaning is the first step. I certainly would NOT have waited for the third AD to check it out. Whatever you do, STOP using the gun until the problem is resolved.

17. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Been there years ago using Red Dot. Clean the action as mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.