1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT100 Missfires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DustyOne60, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

BT100 had several missfires recently. In the middle of a round I would shoot, break it open, reload, close the gun and when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened. After a full recycle it was okay. This happened a few times.

Is this a big fix?
    Will it get worse?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, DustyOne60

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First step is a good cleaning and look for a broken part while doing it. HMB

3. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Check the hammer spring. If the spring is broken, the hammer won't have enough force to hit the primer. The same thing happened to me. I thought that the primers were set too deep in the shells because some would fire and others would not. A good cleaning is always a good place to start too.

4. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Check the hammer spring. If the spring is broken, the hammer won't have enough force to hit the primer. The same thing happened to me. I thought that the primers were set too deep in the shells because some would fire and others would not. A good cleaning is always a good place to start too.

5. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Make sure that you are opening the gun far enough to cock the trigger.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Remove your firing pin, sounds like it is broken in the radius of the shoulder and is keeping it from falling out the front.

7. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Just went through this BT 100 problem, my fault should have had the gun gone through.
    Do all of the above, Clean, new spring, change the firing pin, she'll be good as new. I try to plan to do it every two years, depending on my shooting.

8. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

What Grade IV and Toolmaker said.

Plus take a good look at the sear for any debris. and a good cleaning.

9. bceagle

bceagle TS Member

I have experienced this exact same problem, it was a broken firing pin, it happened to me during a state shoot, no fun but a real easy cheap fix, Brownells stocks parts for BT100s

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Browning stocks parts for the BT-l00 as well. Sometimes for alot less money!!! While Browning will take many months for a repair under warrenty, they ship out parts you pay for very fast. Best of Luck with your gun. Check the top lever spring as well. Check the top lever spring also!!! Break em all Jeff

11. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

When mine did this, there was an itty-bitty spring that had broken. Wasn't the trigger spring but rather a spring in the trigger mechanism. If you turned the gun upside down, it would fire just fine.

12. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

There's a guy on this site that sells spring kits for BT 100. I think it J&P
    Do a search. I keep an extra kit in my shooting bag. Always someone
    At the shoots who know how if you have the springs and pin.

Bill

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you find a broken firing pin,..do yourself a favor and replace with a titanium part...there are a few places still offering these...it will be the last one you ever need

14. Borderland

Borderland Member

Gary is correct..is the hammer falling but with too little impact on the primer or is it failing to cock. I just replaced my BT100 mainspring(hammer) because the hits were too light to ignite the primer about 5% of the time. The old spring was about 3/16 shorter than the new even tho it still seemed plenty stout.

If it is failing to cock - check the push rod with the roller tip that actually resets the hammer. I keep this well greased because it seems fragile and highly stressed in relation to the job it must perform.

15. chris42

chris42 TS Member

you may need a new cocking bar solved my problem

16. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I read your post twice. First you said you had several misfires. That could be a broken fireing pin, or a lot of debris in the pin's tunnel.

Then you said you pulled the trigger and nothing happened. That could be a whole bunch of other problems. You need to be more specific.