1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT Vs TM1 no contest!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 338reddog, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 338reddog

338reddog Member

My wife has taken over my TM1, so I decided to sell my XT to free up some cash. Well I ended up trading instead of selling. And got a BT 34" and a Browning sporting clays in like new cond. Well the wife hefted the BT to her shoulder and said no way.
    So I am shooting the BT. It is not as well balanced and the trigger sucks (vs TM). With the BT I am slower to the target and catch myself flinching. I havent given up yet but Im frustated. How long does it normally take to get used to a new gun?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Look at the target, and don't concentrate on the trigger. This is a sure way to flinch.

The BT is an extremely well made and good shooting gun. Many folks shoot them very well.

Put the gun on paper, and shoot it.

3. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Ahh the Beauty of a P Gun !

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

5000 if you are lucky

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

TM-1
    or TMX

6. 338reddog

338reddog Member

TM1 2 1/4 lb trigger BT 4 1/4
    Gun seems heavier but both weigh the same on the nose 8 3/4 lbs. havent cecked the balance point yet.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sounds like you're going backwards

Ed Yanchok

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

With owning several of each, I always felt you had to steer the BT's to the target while a TM would glide. But doubling weight of trigger pull isn't going to matter regardless of what the gun would have been.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A trigger pull weight around 4 lb is about right, a trigger at 2 1/4 lb is too light. The trigger on a BT-99 can be improved by removing the stock and soaking the receiver in a good solvent and blowing out with compressed air. A gun that fits is a very important thing to have.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Don't even try to get used to the BT. While the BT is, without question, a good trap gun, it is not in the same league as the TM1, and never will be. Trust me when I say this: You will waste a lot of time, and get completely frustrated with your shooting, trying to adjust to the BT99. While it can be done, it will take considerable time at the range trying to do so and there is no guarantee you will ever be able to shoot it. I agree with Ed, you really are going backwards here. If I were you, I would try to get as much out of both the Brownings and get another TM1, or any other gun your wife liked, and take back the TM1 for yourself. It will be much easier for her to adjust to a new gun than it will be for you since she just started to shoot the TM1.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

reddog, It is all about gun fit. Forget about balance, once the gun is anchored to your shoulder you can't tell anything about balance. I think the talk about how a gun swings is really about gun fit. I wouldn't mess with a 4lb trigger unless it has a lot of creep.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trying to get used to a gun with a different trigger than you are used to can cause some problems. The worst being the one you mentioned, flinching. So my advice would be to stop what you are doing and start shooting with a gun that likes you. HMB

13. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I worked on it today and made some positive headway. I had to adust the comb and I was shooting 20-22 from 16-24yds. I still like the TM better, but alot better exp today with the BT.

Jeff

14. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Trap2 I wont tell you what she said about you and your recomendation to get her a diffrent gun. LOL. She has really taken to trap shooting and with only 300 targets under her belt she is averaging 16-17. I will be selling some guns in the near future and hope to get another TM or a combo. But for now I'll make do. Thanks to all for the recomendations.

Jeff

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Just get the trigger done on the BT and you will good to go.

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get an XT to shoot like my TM1. It's a job and still no positive results. Getting to get ready to put both on paper.

17. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Have to disagree with Trap2. I have never shot nor owned a TM1. However, I have owned several Remington trap guns with adjustable combs and butt-plates. Never could get them to fit righ even with all the adjustments. Could never score more than a 22. Acquired a box stock BT99 Max and broke 23 in a row my initial outing .

All comes down to gun fit. The 99 fits me perfectly. You should not have to adjust to the gun. It should feel like an arm extension when fit is right. I have found the 99 to be built like a tank and extremely reliable. I feel for the price you can't beat one.

Please, no disrespect meant to Trap2. Just my opinion.

Darryl

18. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

What you need is a BT-99 Plus or BT-100 with the adjustable rib/comb/LOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt99 vs tm1