1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT Required Maintenance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Here is the way you keep any BT from getting sloppy and loose. Use wheel bearing grease (CMD and Krieghoff are ok too) and grease this lug befroe you put the forend on. The forend iron is very thin and each time you assemble the gun you wear the thin metal plate where this lug is received. And as that wears the gun gets sloppy. AND that is thie only reason you see these guns get sloppy. Grease this guy and keep it greased. I only recommend wheel bearing grease because the good "Gun Doctor" told me to use it. Doug Braker.

[​IMG]

Then while you are at it grease the parts that you normally think of greasing to prevent galling.

The hinge pin

[​IMG]

The slot for the ejector

[​IMG]

And the forend iron to recvr conneciton.

[​IMG]

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

thanks, for the tip,btw, i also shoot a bt, iv'e been using stos grease, but wheel bearing grease makes sense as being prolly better, oh yea betcha don't lay that gun down on that carpet after applying grease,anyways good shootin to, this year...dk

3. Don S

Don S Member

Don't forget to wipe it down after every shoot with a light oil like Rem Oil. On a quiet night you can hear the Brownings rusting.

4. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

Grease? Doesn't wheel bearing grease effect the alloy that these fine shotguns are made of? Something like acidity or something? I heard this somewhere. Maybe we can get the answer from a chemist. I have a tub of "slick 50" grease that I use for grease joints on my tractor, but never have used it on any of my guns. We used to use lubriplate on our M-14's in the corps, but I think the metals were different. Sure made those 14's talk though!

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have always put grease on that barrel lug before assembly and mine has still gotten sloppy. Mine it the new model. A great improvement would be forend iron adjustable for length.

Rusty Brownings? wheel bearing grease attacking metal? How do these rumors get started?

6. JACK

Jerry P. I would bet my buddy Doug Braker could weld a piece in ther to fortify that metal and make it tight again. I make all my assumptions based on a 79 model BT that I shoot. Mine stays solid.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

MIA, It just needs a few thousands welded to the end and fitted. eventually I will.
    And for those offering advise, I will not peen the metal.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jerry, why no peen ? It will prolong not having to weld it for a good while. When having it welded , they will cover it anyway. Far worse is leaving it loose to wear portions of the reciever and iron not easily welded. Jeff

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

bigbore613 ,Peening damages the structure of the metal and weakens it. There is also a screw hole very close to the end of the iron. I suppose I could go the route you suggest with the intentions of welding it later but I think I will just get it fixed right the first time.

10. JACK

up for review

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.