1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bt 99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bullfrog1, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

I just bought a new BT 99 for my wife. She has been shooting a over and under but she broke her shoulder so we had to buy a lighter gun. She is having a hard time open and closing the gun. Is there some way we can get it to open easier. Thanks Bill

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Use a lithium gun grease. The tolerances are very close on the new browning guns and they can be a little sticky with only oil. Use a good low-vis gun grease. I had the same problem with a new xt. Bill

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

MAKE SURE you keep fresh clean grease on the hinge points of her BT99. They are notorious for galling from not being greased or dirty grease. Here is one the owner did not keep up on this. Sounds as if her BT is a prime candidate for galling being as tight as you describe.

[​IMG]

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Use the grease and sounds like you could be her prince by working the action,..opening and closing a hundred times or so a night til she loosens up a bit

6. Feltrosport

Feltrosport TS Member

No NO NO. Use oil on the contact points until the action loosens up. Then use a good grease on the contact points to keep the action from loosening up anymore.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"... sounds like you could be her prince by working the action,..opening and closing a hundred times or so a night til she loosens up a bit"

Is it important to fire a 100 regulation trap shells each night while you're opening and closing it to loosen it up a bit ?

8. t7731

t7731 Member

I met a guy who had the same issue. He actually took a very small (VERY SMALL) amount of steel off of the backside of the lug that the forearm mounts to. This reduced the friction on the contact points and the gun just fell open like it had been fired 30,000 times.

I would never do this to my gun, but it is a solution to your problem.

9. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Fine Filing of the backside of the barrel lug slightly is the correct answer. Call a gun smith to verify...better yet have one do it. It is touchy and easy to take off too much.

Depending on the gun, some are just "too tight" to ever break in before galling....especially some Brownings.

I know some of us have had tight guns that eventually wear in...so they will disagree. You will know if your's is one that is "too" tight to break in with grease or oil....at least in this life time! Not worth the gamble...and why struggle with something forever before you can really enjoy it.

It's a 20 minute fix...and the gun can be as snug or loose as you prefer.

Best regards ...Stan

10. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

Had the same problem with a BT-99 Max Stainless.

Took a stone to the back side of the barrel lug filed it just a touch at a time

did this 5-6 times to get it just right.

Cleared up the problem, the gun is still tight but opens very smooth.

Hal

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

These threads always bring out the file experts. New Brownings are tight. Don't file on the gun.

12. StansCustoms

...and vice versa. It also brings out those that haven't had to deal with a Browning that is "so tight" it will gall if not properly fitted.

Get a qualified gun smith's opinion....or gamble...your choice.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

According to Stan they are all too tight. Browning knows nothing about building guns.

Keep it clean and relube often, it won't gall.

14. StansCustoms

Hmmm......guess were in a pizzin' match.

Six post above..Quote:

"You will know if your's is one that is "too" tight to break in with grease or oil...."

That means all the rest will be fine...but if you have any doubt talk to a gunsmith.

...and about Browning knowing nothing about building guns...where did that come from? Not from me I assure you ...in fact I have a several of them and bought three new ones this last year. Only one was "really" tight....the rest were good this time around....but I know of one more bought this year that was so hard to open that the older gent who bought it had to bend it over his leg to get it open. (and it had plenty of lubrication ...)

Having said that ...believe what you wish Johnny....or heaven forbid... talk to a gunsmith...I did, several years back when I ran across this the first time.

Happy trails gentlemen...I'll bow out from here.

Best regards..Stan

15. broadway john

broadway john Well-Known Member

I own and shoot both a BT99 (1976) and a Broadway (1972) and have always used STOS for lubrication. Although Browning says to use their gun oil I have seen too many gall-up using just oil. The STOS is slicker than you know what and prevents any galling. Try it, you'll like it.

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Stan and I have discussed this in the past.

Oct 1,2012

"Unfortunately I learned that the hard way...never again. Two of my last three new Brownings needed to be filed a little.

Happy trails...Stan "

First it was two of three needed to be filed now it is one of three.

I have seen some older gents who could hardly stand up on the line and wouldn't be surprised they couldn't open a new Browning.

broadway john is right, lube the BT's with STOS

I have seen guns that have galled, I have also seen many guys pull a BT out of a slip and head to the line. Their guns squeak when opened.

17. StansCustoms

I just thought I was through...there were two guns, my bad. One much worse than the other.

I had forgotten about the one that likely would have broken in eventually....just saw no reason to chance it.

In addition I have bought a used Browning Skeet 4 Bbl. Combo set, a Bt-99 Plus, and a Recoiless in the last few months. ....and a Beretta 682 Gold E combo for a friend...and a Beretta 682 Gold Gold E with Briley tubes for skeet.

I'm currently fitting the stock for the combo set and looking for a 34" barrel for a Bt-99 I'm setting up. So I've slept since the post you mentioned....but I will never loose any sleep over a new gun trying to gall again...nor will I spend weeks or months hoping one will be a pleasure to use.

And once again newbies...consult a gunsmith if you have a "really tight" new Browning.

It only takes a few minutes to gall, especially if the gun is way too tight and the lube gets he least bit dry.

Happy trails..Stan

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

How about consulting Browning, they made the gun. Gunsmiths have to eat.