1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schoolcop, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

Can someone send me a pm and let me know some of the pros and cons about buying a used BT-99. I really dont know what to look for or look out for. There are usually several for sale on here and I am going to buy one, I just want to get the best deal for the money. Thanks, Randy

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

sent PM

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Myself and a couple of my buddies are also in the market for a used BT 99 or BT 100 here in SE PA.

Perhaps folks would post here (not a PM) some objective items & issues to look for and consider for these guns.

thanks,

js in PA

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The lever on the top of the receiver should be to the right when closed. As the gun wears, the lever moves to the center, then to the left. Take the forearm off and see if there is any wiggle in the barrel when locked up. Put the forearm back on, and open the gun. See if there is any wiggle in the barrel. How easily does the gun open? If it falls open, it has been shot a lot. Look at overall condition of the wood and metal. Have it been modified, stock shortened, ported? Do the chokes come out easily, if it has screw in chokes?
    Mark

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

The original "handicap model" later changed to "Competition model" was approx. cir. mid-1975 which had a higher rib and larger, non tapered forearm. Ser. No. with an RR were high shooters (POI); subsequent ser. numbers, with for example RN, were flatter shooting BT-99's. The older guns had nice tasteful engraving and later one were much reduced. In my opinion the best gun dollar for dollar for a hand fitted gun. These guns are dependable and probably the weakest part is the ejector extension which takes quite a hit from the forearm hammer. The firing pins and main hammer I've never heard of one breaking. As with one of the previous respondents, the lever on top is an easy way to tell how much, in general, the gun's been fired. To the right of center is a good sign. The next thing I would look at is how tight is the gun? If you open it up and it hits you in the knee probably shows more wear or lack of proper lubrication. Keep in mind the older guns varied with a M.C. or straight stock, 32 or 34" barrels and chokes were modified (**), imp. mod. (*-), and full (*). It should be noted that the chokes were on the tight end of the measurement. For example, the mod. choke measured .020" constriction. Imp. mod. .028" and .032 for the full choke. Barrels were usually .725" before the choke. There were no porting nor overboring on the older models. Great guns. Many were sold with seller's remorse. BT100dc

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

fyi The bt's with 34 inch barrels are easier to sell and are worth more because of this. Not sure why but if you try to sell a 32 you will find out it's true. Bill

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The older guns were just made better however I prefer the 90's guns also old and good quality they have the bigger bore barrels with Invector plus chokes softer shooters good engraving and have an ejector with the larger forearm which is a personal preference. Th´newer guns without engraving and no ejector are nowhere near as good as an older gun providing you find one in good shape. The newer guns also have had trouble with the forearms breaking in a cost savings effort Browning removed the ejector and the draw bolt in the front of the forearm which is why the new one breaks. I have 2 BT 99's both older style been shooting them for 20 years best single barrel trap gun for the buck.
    They also can be refurbished an shot an other 1000,000 rounds again for reasonable cost hope this helps good luck in your search also shoot it before you buy it for poi and pattern I never saw a original with a bad pattern but some guns have been modified which is ok if done right I purchased a modified one and would not sell it I shoot it the best.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Be sure to look at the surfaces where the receiver rubs against the foriron. Properly lubed there should be no galling to either surface. Same for hinge pin. Guns are long lasting great shooters. Many feel that the OLDER BT-99's are the best value ever offered. Marc

PS: I do have a couple of BT-99's and a couple of BT-100's I will be offering for sale after the Dixie Grand.

9. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Just wanted to weigh-in on behalf of the newer model BT-99. I have been shooting one for about six years (over 30,000 rounds) with no problems. My gun has the adjustable comb option which often receives criticism regarding the perceived quality of the hardware but, again, I have had absolutely no negative experiences. Not a fancy gun but the mechanics and the bluing have held up well and it shoots better than I can aim. I doubt if you would be diappointed if you opt for a newer model gun. In my view, a reliable gun and an excellent value.

10. shippankid

shippankid TS Member

BT99 or BT100..........I've got a BT99 in nice shape i'd sell and ship to you for $900.00 I also have a number of BT100's. They are a passion of mine and I can outfit you with a BT100 34" Stainless Steel, Monte Carlo stock, with a release trigger in a case for $2000.00 shipped. It is in 97% shape! Shiny Bore, Xclent wood, Stainless is in great shape, action is tight and the release is a little right of center. I have others, so if you wanted to chat call 509-496-9329

11. ismah

ismah Member

My BT-99 was made in 2008. I shoot it every weekend in the rain, wind and snow. It's a great gun. I bought it used for $1000 and have never had a problem. The adjustable comb is recommended. I set mine once when I first got the gun and have never changed it. Also, the stock recoil pad is great, wouldn't change it for any other.

12. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

Thanks everyone for some great information. I will be keeping an eye out on here for one. Thanks Randy

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Best objective comment is to handle a few guns and to shoot any gun you're considering for purchase...

Fixed Choke v. Choke Tubes? 34" v. 32"? Choke tube guns had Invectors first, then Invector Plus and back-boring... New guns are Extractor v. older Ejector...

I've owned and shot them all and presently own an older Pigeon (Grade 2) with a fixed full as well as a newer Nickel Laminate with tubes for my guest gun...

I will say that my GO-2 guns are my 90Ts and have been for the past 6-7 years... they shoot like BTs, but are heavier. While the LOP is similar, when I shoot the BTs occasionally, they are noticeably lighter...

As a mass produced shotgun, one tremendous value in a firearm...

Jay

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. You want one that is user friendly. HMB

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Franktri , " I now have a gunsmith adjusting the extractor to bring the spent shell out more"

How is this being accomplished?

16. Franktri

Franktri Member

Johnny: Apparently the sliding portion of the extractor has a bevel on it in the guns that work well. On the one that doesn't extract correctly, the bevel is on the other side of the mechanism. The gunsmith, hopefully, will get the part with the bevel on the side that makes the shell extract more. I hope it works. He told me it would..