1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 WON'T OPEN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GROUPER7, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

Hello all.
    Hope someone can help. Just put my BT99 together and now it didn't cock nor will it open. The lever is all the way to the right. Took forearm off but have not been able to push any of the protruding bits. I am new at this and have no clue on what to do short of taking it to a gunsmith.
    DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SUGGESTION??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You don't have a shell in there do you?

If the gun is all together. Pull the trigger.

Wayne

3. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Take the recoil pad off and remove the stock and go from there. Woody

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The gun cocks when you open it, with the forend on.

Is the lever stuck in the open postion?

Try this, put the forend on. Then grab the barrel from the top with your fingers and put pressure on the rib toward the receiver above the forend with the palm of your hand. With the other hand hold it by the grip and push the lever to the right, while putting pressure on the top of the receiver. Basically putting extra pressure on the closed position, making the barrel lug push down farther in the receiver, taking the pressure off the locking block. Now hit the butt of the gun on a table or floor still with the lever held to the right and pressure on the top of the receiver. While holding the gun upright try to open the breech.

Sounds to me like your locking block is stuck into the barrel lug. Jon

5. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

Wayne, Woody, Jon.

Thank you very much for the help.

I did not have a shell in there and before I took the unit apart I tried Jons' suggestion and it worked. Couldn't see any foreign matter in there so why this happened is a mistery.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Alex.

6. Stl Flyn

It does not take much. A grain of powder could get stuck up and wedge in there. Not much room between parts. Glad it worked. Took the stock off of my KS-5 after the summer shooting and could not believe the Red Dot powder laying inside by the trigger. Think of the precision fit of those parts and then throw a little piece of dirt in there. Causes problems. Glad I could help. You might want to take the stock off and give it a good cleaning, blow it out with air, and give all a very light oiling. Jon

7. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

Hi Jon,

You certainly made my evening. I was expecting a big gunsmith bill since I have never taken a gun apart. I am mechanically inclined but when it comes to guns I am a bit on the shy side. Eventually I will need to take it apart and really go over it with a fine tooth comb and while I am at it replace the main spring and firing pin. Any advise on what I should be careful of?

Again many thanks and best regards,

Alex

8. Stl Flyn

The mainspring may be a little difficult without the right tools, but can be done. Anytime you are working with springs including taking off the stock, make sure you are wearing safety glasses. When working with springs do it in the most confined area as possible. Because when one gets away they are very hard to find 60 feet across the basement. Usually when possible I try to work with a clear plastic bag with the bottom cut off, and the receiver inside. Put your hands through both openings. That way you can see what you are doing, and at the same time catch those flyers. Hard to do when leverage is required though.

Best thing to do is get the schematic of the receiver. That way you can see what is what, and what each part does. Just click on the link above. This site gives part numbers also. Jon

9. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the advise. I have ordered some parts and tools from Brownells and
    hope to see them in a week or 10 days. The idea of a clear plastic bag is quite ingenious and I will use it. I have also aquired a service manual for the BT99 and hopefully it will give a few hints on how to take the unit apart and re assembled. Should I use a light machine oil or graphite for the intermal parts?

Thank you for all the help.

Alex.

10. Stl Flyn

I wish I could take credit for the bag idea, but that idea was given to me by a friendly gunsmith I know in Wautoma, Wisconin. Any good quality gun oil will work. I give the inside of the receiver a real quick spray, then go over it and wipe the excess off. I use a Q-Tip to get into the tight spaces. Compressed air with the tube works pretty good also to blow the oil from between the tight fitting parts. Just so everything has a very minimal amount. Otherwise you get dirt build-up. I would not use graphite. I know graphite is a great friction reducer, but way to messy and dirty. Does not do much to prevent rust. Jon

11. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

Thanks for the advise. I will let you know how I make out once I get around to stripping this gun down.

Regards,

Alex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 wont open after shooting

very hard to open new bt-99