1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99.....Which choke to start with?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thom, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thom

thom TS Member

Thanks for all the assistance in helping me resolve my 32" or 34" dilemma.....34" it is!

Now I'd like to know if I should stick with the included full choke and just suffer through the learning curve, or back off to an IM or M choke, hoping that, ( an assumption here...), I can learn to improve gradually by seeing more broken birds and tell from those whether I'm behind, under or 'wherever'.
    If I don't see many breaking because the pattern is tight, how can I learn from my misses? ( I'll be camping out on the 16yd. line for quite some time...)

BTW - Choke manufacturer recommendations? Stay with Browning ? Diana OK ?

I really want to learn what to do right, not just increase my scores "NOW".
    I think I can be patient and wait for the 'epiphany'...... :)

I appreciate all the advice given to date and find my time on the forum well spent as I begin to learn the ropes.

~~~~~~~<'{{><

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I was told when I first started was to shoot with a full choke. I haven't looked back since. I was told this makes you become more accurate rather than sloppy with your shooting.

I changed to an IM the other day and dropped more than my usual targets. Now some might say this is all in your head, but honestly I had forgotten what choke I had installed until after the round. It wasn't until I was thinking why I shot so poorly did I realized I had changed the choke before that round.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Full choke. A more open choke will not produce a larger pattern. It will simply move some shot from the inner pattern core toward the outside.

Pat Ireland

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

Full!!!!!

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Use the choke that came with the gun. Browning included the only one you need.

6. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

IM is as open as I would go.

The two invector plus Brownings I had I shot a Briley Light Full flush.

My fixed choke BT-99's are Full (.039) and Light Full (.030). I shoot the Light Full better.

Experiment. It's part of the fun of the game.

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Thom,

The 34" BT-99 is a good selection that will take you all the way back to the 27 yard line...

Since you're going to be shooting singles from 16 yards back, there is no need to use a FULL choke or for that matter anything more than a light #8 1 oz load.

As Pat stated, the diameter of the shot pattern is about the same but the pellet distribution is more even with fewer flyers. The light #8 1 oz load is very pleasant and fast and centered targets will still turn to dust in the wind.

What you want to focus on right now is making sure your gun FITS and practise, practise, practise. Enjoy your game and let us know when you run that first 25 straight!

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I tried the Full choke that came with mine and it would not pattern well at all.

Switched to a Trulock Imp Mod and it breaks them just fine.

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I got a brand new 34inch bt99 last Nov.. I had had no luck with a LNIB Citori trap I had. I left the Full choke in that came with the gun, with in a month of patterning and setting the comb I was breaking 25 straight. The first night I ran my 25 I shot 97/100.

I shot the gun all winter spring and summer and just recently sold the gun and started shooting an XT that I purchased,after selling the Citori, I havent broke 25 again since.

Needless to say I kicked myself for parting with the BT and sold my motorcycle, bought a Berreta combo will try to ease the pain lol. Sold a trailer and a Ruger No.1 prolly gunna buy another BT.

BUT in the Beretta I will have a full chike in it you bet ya!!

Jerry Lewis.

10. team henges

team henges TS Member

I would buy a light full, thats what I shoot and I like it because i think IM is not tight enough and full is too tight for shooting 16s and the lf will smash the birds where a M or IM will just break them.

brendan

11. archangel

archangel Member

With my limited experience use full: it is a good teaching tool. I would suggest considering buying an extended choke because it can be easily checked if it is coming lose during and between rounds.

12. thom

thom TS Member

WOW !

Thanks for all the advice so far. Some of you have been kind enough to offer a more lengthy PM response, and my understanding of forum etiquette has me continuing the dialog there so as to not to overwhelm the thread. I have a lot to think about and through with everything presented thus far.

There seems to be two camps weighing in on this, about 70/30 for full choke vs. other options.
    I'll pattern and compare POA/POI tomorrow as a start.

~~~~~<'{{><

13. glenns

glenns Member

Can't beat seeing the 'dust' with a full choke.

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

My opinion; start out with an IM at 16.

I believe the posters here who recommended a full are correct in that a full choke will make you a better shooter. However, when first starting out just breaking the rocks builds confidence in not only your shooting, but also the weapon that you're shooting.

Based on my Sons experience, when first starting out, it gets discouraging after spending all the time and money to get into trap only to break 15/25 even if you're smoking them. Of course if you stay with it, eventually you will get better.

Once you have confidence in your weapon and by past scores of 20+/25 confidence in your shooting ability, move to the full. The tighter pattern will not only smoke the rocks, but it will show you where you are shooting at by what piece of the rock you are chipping off.

And finally to "BustiShooter09", you can't have your BT-99 back, my Son is in love with it. :)

Craig

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

When I shot my BT99--Smoke all the way to the 24 yard line with the modified choke. Breaks targets beautifully. Do not use the full choke--it was made for the longer handicap yardages.The 12 guage is such an overkill from the 16 yard line that a full choke will further beat a dead horse. For that matter why not use a turkey choke? It makes no sense at all. Stay with the modified,break plenty of targets and then take a lesson from a "pro" down the road. Modified all the way. All the best--Dennis Mastrolia.And use 1 1/8 shot-nothing less.Why limit yourself with 1oz. shot?

16. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I shoot an extra full Midas grade choke in both barrels on my XT Trap gun, broke 98 from the 16 yard line yesterday and 93 from the 20 yard line in my first ATA shoot, I have been shooting trap for less than 2 years. Love that tight choke, makes ya a better shooter.
    Woody Sullivan

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo told my son when he took his course that "it didn't matter which choke you use as long as its Full." Who wants to argue with him? Heck you gotta go back to the early 80's to find a year he didn't average 99%+. That would make him a person to listen too in my eyes. He also said he uses 7 1/2 shot 'cause they won't let him use 6's. LOL I'm a full choke guy but whatever works. Did you ever wonder why most fixed choked guns or guns that only come with one choke are FULL??? Think about it.---Matt

18. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

GRNTITAN--I think they only come with a full choke so that one can use the gun for other disciplines. Also it's a cost saver for the company.Additionally some full chokes will vary greatly in their actual constriction. And finally Leo Harrison the finest shooter on the planet could shoot a broomstick and still shoot a 99% average.When asked once what shells he preferred he said "whatever they have in the shell house". He can shoot anything.He is that great.(And I was told that he shoots a FLAT shooting gun).

19. thom

thom TS Member

ttt

~~~<'{{><

20. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Modifided back to the 25yrd line. Then switch to IM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 extra full chokes

bt 99 fixed choke diameters

chokes for bt 99

pattern a bt99 trap gun