1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Which Choke for 16 Yard Line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hungarian, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungarian

Hungarian TS Member

Sorry for the beginners question.
    I am just getting started shooting trap. Since I am at the 16 yard line is the Full Choke okay to use shooting #8's ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Choke for smoke...Full choke from the 16 all the way back to the 27. Maybe someday i'll get back to the 27 so i can tell you exactly how good it works from there.----Matt

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Hungarian

If you have more than one choke, shoot all of them several practice rounds to see which choke breaks the bird the hardest...find out which choke smokes the targets the most. You may be surprised! Many times a full choke will not throw as tight of a pattern as a more open choke like an improved modified or even modified.

But, by all means, when you find the one that hits the targets the hardest, use that one. Use the one that leaves nothing but a ball of smoke hanging in the air!.

If you stay in this game long enough, you will find out chips are the downfall of a good 16 yard shooter.

Mark Rounds

4. M Wayne

M Wayne TS Member

Hungarian, I also shoot a BT-99 and found that an improved modified works the best for me. I use the same choke back to the 23yd line. Makes for great smokeballs. Welcome to the sport. Mike

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Use modified until you learn to point. Shot 1 straight today with modified, #8s, 7/8 oz., and 1 straight with light modified, #8s, 1 oz.

6. BT-99 TBTI

BT-99 TBTI TS Member

Improved Modified when first starting out. Then switch to full choke from the 16 all the way back to the 27. Ethan P.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Improved Modified or Full would be fine. It will not make much difference. The choke really does not change the size of the pattern very much. A more open choke tends to move some of the shot from the inner pattern area toward the edges of the pattern but the overall size of the effective pattern does not change much.

Pat Ireland

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Great thing about a "fixed full"... one less thing to think about on the line. Stay "full" or go home.

Full chokes leave less room for error. If you start questioning your choke choice on the line, you're not focused on the birds. If you're missing birds, its not the choke its you.

Good luck and enjoy,

Jay

9. grntitan

Big Leo says "i don't care what choke you use as long as its FULL".

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Browning rates their choke tubes by the percent pattern in a 30" circle at 40 yards using a system based on performance prior to the plastic wad. Every other manufacturer rates their choke tubes by constriction. A Browning Modified is very weak from .012 to .015 constriction. The Browning Improved Modified is only .020 to .022 constriction. You need at least Improved Modified in a BT-99.

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

LOL, Choke for smoke..." they want you to believe that and then they will beat you everytime with their Mod or Imp Mod..... LOL...

Just think of how many FULL/FULL O/U you see....Grubby

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A good modified is all that is needed for 16 yard targets a full choke with a hot core looks impressive but the Big Dogs usually have their barrels tuned to give a more even full pattern not the heavy hot core most shooters advise you to shoot. Remember advice is free some times that is it's real value. A good evenly distrubited pattern in modified choke is a excellent choice so pattern for a good even coverage and when you find it use that one.

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I use a Briley Modified in my 99 and it crushes the birds. Do I get chips sometimes?, yes but that is my fault not the chokes...Bill

14. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I switched to a Light Mod recently. I shoot it back to 20 yards and it crushes targets and that is with 1 oz of 8 shot. I just don’t understand why you would use the same choke at 16 yards as you would use at 27, just doesn’t add up too me. Your mileage may vary.

15. grntitan

Why does alot of the fixed choke guns come from the factory as a "Full"? Example is my buddies Perazzi. Why did the older Bt 99's come from the factory with two barrels fixed choked an "Improved Mod." and a "Full"? Why would the BT 99's which are simply a trap singles/handicap gun come new from the factory with one choke, a "Full"? Why would alot of the fixed choke over/under guns come from the factory as "Improved Mod." and "Full"? I think its because that is the choke that should be used for singles and handicaps. Just an observation of mine and also my opinion.----Matt

16. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Don't shoot a Browning, but I use a modified from 16yd line and crush them

17. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

100 chipped targets beats 99 smokes every time.

18. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Why, why, why........ I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks? Or old habits are hard to break?

I am surprised someone has not said, “ I hope I shoot against you and your modified choke at the next registered shoot”. LOL

19. grntitan

Sargon---I do use afull choke and it improved my scores considerably over the Mod. i once used. That is what works for me and like the ads say for medicines "Results May Vary". I was hoping somebody could seriously answer all the questions i asked in my previous post. Good luck with whatever choke you use.----Matt

20. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

"the Mod. i once used" Not to be argumentative Matt but if you only used your mod choke once I don’t think you really gave it a chance. I have shot full, improved mod, mod and light mod at 16 yards and don’t see hardly any difference in my break.

I just know that my score goes up the more open I go with my choke. Again your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best choke tube for bt 99
browning bt-99 choke tubes
browning bt99 fixed modified choke

bt 99 choke tubes

bt-99 choke tubes

bt99 best
bt99 choke tubes
bt99 what choke to use