1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 vs Rem 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was looking into getting a BT-99 and I already have the Remington 870TC. Is there less recoil with the Browning? And would there be an advantage to switching? The 870TC is in excellent cond. so that is not a reason to switch but I hear alot of people talking about how they like the Browning. Thanks

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've been shooting an 870 TB since 1972 and have taken our club championship multiple times, and won a lot of other stuff. When times were really tough, I put a riot barrel on it and killed a few deer. It feels like a part of me. That said, I have had affairs with many other guns....a 101 trap, a Daley trap, a BT99, a Citori trap, a couple of 1100 trap guns and always came back to my TB. It has had several hundred thousand rounds through it and had only the trigger and one firing pin replaced. I've never measured the bore or spent any measurable time on the patterning board because it smokes targets. I used it in league one summer when we never got closer than 24 yards and spent most of the summer at 25 or 26. I had my highest summer league average that year...47.5. It is a non-monte, 30" full and seems to work best with 7 1/2's in the 3de load. I have a 30" modified trap barrel that is almost as good as the full. Once in a while I put it in timeout if it misbehaves and shoot something else but when the chips are down out it comes.
    (I have a BT99 two barrel set and a Cynergy right now that I use to make the 870 jealous). I'd sure keep the TC but not be afraid to try a 99. I can discern no difference in recoil but at one time thought the reverse forearm on the BT helped make felt recoil less with it.
    enjoy. Buy a gun for Obama.
    Stan

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it, then you will be able to make the right decision. HMB

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've owned both guns. I can't fault an 870 but I shot the BT-99 better. Been shooting the BT-99 since 1979 and it's never let me down (I must say that the targets I missed were operator related). It comes down to your individual preference. More importantly, whether it be an 870 or BT-99, make sure it fits you. Another thing I like about the BT-99 is you can rest the gun on the barrel during a round versus holding it up. That may or may not make a difference to you. Darrell

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Apples to apples both guns are the best guns for the money for this game. Both are tough as nails and will got the distance. In this game we shoot so much that any flaws in design will show up early. My reasons for shooting a BT 99 are that I shoot reloads and like looking down the barrel after I shoot just my hang up also my BT is one with the bigger bore barrel less recoil and choke tubes I shoot a more open choke at 16 and like to be able to change chokes.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Old One Eye, If that is a hang up I have it too. I couldn't use an auto or pump for trap shooting.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BT-99: Wonderful gun, particularly the older ones. Wish I hadn't sold a mint old one I had. Only flaw for ME: Light and whippy. Cure: almost free. For me, 20 oz. weight made from aluminium (or whatever) on end of the barrel. That was all, that was it.

8. Frye

Frye TS Member

I started with a Remmy 11-87. Went to a BT-99 and loved it. Had an adjustable comb put on the BT-99 and then hated it. Then went to the XT without a comb and shot just as good with it as I did with the BT-99.
    Much easier to clean and maintain that the 11-87. I'd take another BT-99 in a heart beat. They're great guns.

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Just shoot it. It doesn't matter much what anyone tells you about the recoil because that is based mainly on gun fit, and the gun fit obviously varies between each person. For me, it fits great, and I barely feel any recoil even in just a T-Shirt. So you need to shoot one yourself to make the decision. The only thing people can help you out with is reliability. I clean mine about once a week at most and have had absolutely zero problems with it. Never a misfire, and I believe mine is a 2002 model. Couldn't be happier with it, you can spend a whole heck of a lot more money than a BT, but never get that much better of a gun.
    -Trappy

10. ismah

ismah Member

I got rid of my BT about 5 years ago and have been abusing my 870 ever since. It's never let me down, the recoil is about the same and I like the way I look shooting a pump action.

11. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

There are all kinds of things to reduce the recoil in either. I would take the 870, lengthen the forcing cone, put a reducer in the stock and a small amount of weight in the mag tube, then add a Kickeeze! Both are great guns but 870's just look good on the line.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two fine shotguns. I have used both. I would select the one I shot the best. For me, both are equally effective for shooting doubles. One advantage of the 870 is that you can get another field gun for spare parts. A small stick is about all you need to replace parts in the 870 and this can be done while walking between fields at a large shoot..

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 remington shotgun bt
bt99 or 870
recoil from bt-99 vs 11-87
rem classic trap vs browning bt 99
remington 1100 trap vs bt-99
remington 1100 v bt-99

remington 870 classic trap vs browning bt 99

remington bt 99