1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 VS PARKER SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Franzen, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Franzen

Mike Franzen TS Member

I currently shoot a Parker SBT, 32" bbl, full choke, "English" straight grip stock. I love the gun and shoot well with it. I'm considering a BT 99, 34" bbl and was wondering what, if anything I would gain (besides having another great gun) by going to the BT? Your coments are appreciated.
    Mike

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Nothing, but you already had that figured out. Well actually a 2" longer barrel.Bill

3. BILL GRILL

Dick, With all respect that ol parker has at least 50 years on that bt99 already. That was a dumb statement. Bill

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

With all due respect, Dick is right. Although the Parker is a classic and a fine gun, there are no parts available, and finding someone to work on them and cost of maintenance is a consideration. I shoot Ithaca Knick's, and the considerations are the same.

5. BILL GRILL

Ok so neither one of you know a good gun smith. Last year I had a new firing pin made and installed on a first generation Parker sbt. Also sent my Knicks 4e to the same smith, had trigger cleaned new springs and new spring on release lever installed. Shoot the 4e every week. You both need to look around a little more. They are man made man can still make the parts. Regards, Bill

6. Mike Franzen

Mike Franzen TS Member

I wasn't aware Parkers could break :) However, I was thinking about that wear and tear issue as a motivator to maybe get a more modern gun. Bill, my SBT is also 1st generation. I didn't buy it to just let it sit. I had heard the SBT was as fine a trap gun as you could get. I see guns costing 5 - 10 times more and wonder what they can do the Parker can't. I guess that's really my question. What is to be gained by getting the really high dollar gun - other than the braggin rights?

7. BILL GRILL

Mike, Maybe a little less recoil or a little better pattern due to advancements in tecnology. I've owned Krieghoff's, perazzi's ect. I also owned Ithaca's, Parkers,Foxes, and LC Smith's. They all break birds. I enjoy the old guns because every time I walk to the line with one I wonder who has been here before me with this gun? What did he acomplish,what were his dreams and aspirations. Trap shooting to some is a goal to others it is a romance. What do you want it to be for you? I'll take the ol girl to the dance and wonder where she's been and what she's done. If you need another gun buy a Fox,Ithaca or a LC. Regards, Bill

8. Mike Franzen

Mike Franzen TS Member

Bill I think we are kindred spirits. I love the old guns too. Every time I take it to the trap if there's an ole timer there he invariably wants to see it and will tell me stories about the old days. I don't have anything against the new guns either. There's just something about shooting a hundred year old gun that I can break birds with. I wish I knew the history of the gun too.

9. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

Buy the new BT-99 if you want and for the various reasons mentioned above . However have you ever noticed how much those old single barrel Trap guns look like modern day Trap guns ? Let us see now , shooters went from single barrel trap guns ( Parker ) , then to pump or slide actions ( Winchester model 12 ,remington 870's ) then to the modern Remington 1100 autos . Well it is funny how we have gone full circle back to the Parker type single barrel Trap guns ? All modern day manufacteurs have a single barrel Trap gun that all look and function like those old Parkers , other than your Parker's age what really is so different ?

10. MOP

MOP Active Member

Bill,would you please share the contact information for your gunsmith who works on Parker and Ithaca guns? It would be helpful to me and others.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This picture shows the lockup area of a Parker shotgun. Those little lockup pads are pined and fitted in the front area of the barrel/barrels and there is very little area vs. compared to any modern shotgun made in the last half century. These old Parkers are fine guns to hunt with, but to use one for trap shooting is a poor choice except for occasional use. I'll take a BT99 over my Parkers any day, at least I can get a replacement part shipped to my door in 96 hours.
    toolmaker251_2008_03038.jpg

12. BILL GRILL

Toolmaker & all, Yes a Bt-99 is a better choice if your going to go out and shoot competition but for a casual shooter and a club hack any of the old guns would work fine. Also I will put my Knick's up with a bt99 any day of the week year in and year out. Toolmaker here are some pictures of my Parker can you point those pieces out to me?

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC01320.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC01320.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC01319.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC01319.jpg </a>

13. BILL GRILL

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC01318.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC01318.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC01321.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC01321.jpg </a>

14. EEB

EEB Member

Those little pieces/parts shown by Toolmaker are the wearplates on the barrel underlug. The beauty of those is if the action needs a little tightening you can replace, or soft solder a shim on top of the plate. Tony Galazan sells these which can be fitted to any Parker with this feature, post-1910. The old American SBTs are beautiful, but certainly have their limitations when compared to the modern guns in terms of materials,design, and availability of parts and those competent enough to work on them.

15. BILL GRILL

I was just wondering what Ansley Fox, Capt Bogardus, Annie Oakley, John Philip Sousa And countless others would have to say about not being able to shoot these old guns thousands of rounds? Bill

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bill, in your 1st. photo, look directly below the ejector. That is the wear plate in which the locking bolt keeps the barrel closed. The wear plate is pinned into a slot with a .078 dia. pin, in order to raise the plate to make the top lever go more to the right of centerline, you would have to elongate the hole in the wear plate. In my opinion, this is a piss poor repair.

17. BILL GRILL

Toolmaker, Yes I looked at the gun again and found it now. Sure is one tiny pin holding it in! Only good thing to be said is it can be replaced.

MOP, If you look at the thread "who has best price for case coloring reciever"
    Drew Hause has listed several. Also if I were to guess i'd say the guy posting
    just before this post is one. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
parker sbt
parker sbt guns
parker sbt vs

parker sbt vs lc smith sbt