1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS trap, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS trap

KS trap Member

A friend has got a 1992 made BT 99 in 34" blued with Monte Carlo stock, factory muzzle break, invector plus - 1 choke tube. no modifications. nice wood, good shape probably 95%.

In your opinion would this gun be worth 1,000 - Im considering buying it from him.

Would this be ejector or extractor ?

Interested in any info you can offer.

Thanks

2. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

You'll get much better answers to your questions if you can post clear pictures.

I like BT-99s a lot but can't shoot them worth a darn!

Good luck.

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, NM

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Perhaps a bit overpriced for being 20 years old unless it has a very low round count, but Brownings were made better back then and the MC stock is a BIG plus in my book. If you like it and it fits, buy it.

-Gary

4. KS trap

KS trap Member

I wish I had a pic for you but I dont. Ive seen it and the wood looks better to me than most. No scratches. Round count - dont know but locks up tight.

Ive decided on a BT 99 for shooting with my trap league and the fall season starts soon. Was considering getting a BT-99 satin or perhaps a BT 100 but that could take time. I shoot 23's from 16 yards and 21 or 22 from the 25 yard line with my 26" M1 Benelli field gun and the guys are after me about getting a dedicated trap gun so that we can inch into 1st place.

Trying to figure out if the 1,000 is fair as he wont budge on price.

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

$$800 to $1000 would be fair, I would work from $800.

6. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I agree with space gun. $800 to 1K. I would start with $800.
    If the gun does not have an adjustable comb... well that would be the first thing I would do were I to buy it. Also the butt pad is probably very hard and dry on a 20 year old gun if original.

That gun came with 3 chokes and a choke wrench. M, IM and F...

I think the 99 is a great first gun for a trapshooter. It was my first trap single and I still have it and have set it up for 27' game right now. I think you will really like it. Does it have a beavertail forend?

Also is there any engraving or embossing on the side plates of the receiver?

Make sure the hardware (metal) on the forearm is secure and not loose to the wood.

Also make sure the barrel fit to receiver is not loose (L to R) when open and there is no Up to Down movement when the barrel is locked shut. Also when locked shut, the release lever on the top tang should be over to the right side.

Make sure to take the choke out and understand which one it is. I have shot numerous 25's with a Muller U3 choke from 16. That would be the choke for the inside game and the U4 (full plus) for the back line.

BTW the 99 of that era probably had ejector for the spent shell.

Let us know how you do...

7. KS trap

KS trap Member

Great info. Thanks Star 4 Ever !

It does has engraving on the side plates. I do have one pic showing the forend.

It appears to be beavertail with finger groove.

[​IMG]

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

A 1992 gun would have the long tang, a competition forend, and would either eject or extract empties depending on how it is set. These are all desirable qualities on BT-99's, along with the M/C stock & 34" factory ported barrel.

Even with all these "pluses" it would have to be ultra-cherry to be worth $1,000.00.

9. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have had a similar dilemma in that a new one costs around $1200. If the gun is that much better even though it is 10 years old and you really like it, buy it. I concur with others in that it should be bought for somewhere under the $1M. I have newer guns that are just fine and were bought for around the above number..

10. KS trap

KS trap Member

It has a 199 in the last 3 digits of the serial number so I do believe it is the beavertail competition forend - are these prefered over other forends and why.

Since its a 1992 model and can be changed from ejector to extractor - how is that done?

Thanks again

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

That gun cost less than 1k new. Your "friend" is squeezing you a little. Take a look at gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com to find the true value. 850 would be a good price without a case. Check and see what's available at the local gun shops. I picked up a beauty a few years ago, an "as new" bt-99 with a rad recoil reducer and adjustable comb for 1350. There may be something out there like that. You can still get a new plain jane bt for under 1200. Bill

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Be sure to check for galling on the mating faces where the forend iron matches the receiver.

So many of these guns were not lubed enough (or, alternately, fitted) and I have seen many spoiled ones.

HM

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

$800.00 tops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.