1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Update - Browning Service

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Sep 17, 2013.

1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    Recently had an incident with my BT99. My guest gun is a later version - SHOT Show Special - laminate with nickel barrels and a guest returned the gun with a loose forend.

I could not get the forend off without separating the wood from the forend iron. I eventually managed to get the assembly off and found the forward machine screw had sheared and that the rearward wood screw was about to pull out... which is why I had no leverage.

I called Browning Parts and ordered new screws. The rearward wood screw is no longer. Browning is offering to update my forend at no cost to me, other than the shipping the entire gun into Browning Service.

Sounds like they are updating the method of how the metal secures within the wood and to each other. By better connecting the release latch/forend iron assembly in sandwiching the forend wood between the two, should provide better leverage of the forend and elimination of woodscrew stripping.

For more information on your BT99, contact Browning Service in MO. FYI,

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my fore end screws. I shoot a few BT versions and can't recall having an issue but I check those screws on occasion. Only slightly found those loose on my Citoris.

I'd let the factory do the job for you. You'll only have to send the for end. They will do a good job. I only had one experience with them back in the mid 90's when I bought my first new BT-99. Firing pin broke at approx. 500 rounds. I shipped the gun in new condition and it came back in new condition. Have heard horror stories on this site but I trust them.

Good luck, I love that laminated version you have. They are tough to find.
  3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jan 29, 1998
    My experiences with Browning service has been very very good these days. I'm glad that they're not taking service lessons from Beretta!!