1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 uh-oh

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,my friend finally handed me his BT 99 last night to try.An older model with a release trigger.He told me it shoots flat.The special sporting clay I shoot at the moment shoots a tad high.Taking my time with it I actually shot it as good as my sporting clay,maybe a tad better.Friend told me for the first time shooting a release that was great.He also said I can shoot it as long as I want,and not to worry about buying it at this time.32" barrel,full choke,release trigger,Pachymar pad,but,,still can feel the recoil a little more than with my sporting clay gun with a trap dude pad.The price is low enough I won't even mention it here,just to preserve and protect those with BT 99's for sale here.I'm afraid I might not let this one get away as a few in the past.The free trial definetly is helping to get me hooked.I know if I run them anytime soon that will seal it.Any ideas as how,maybe I can head off the addiction to buy???LMAO

Doug H.

2. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I've been away from shotgun sports for a while..and have bought Brownings since November for everything ..trap, skeet, dove...fun in General.

The best buy of all was an old 1982 BT-99. Nice clean gun..but 1/3 the money of any of the others.

If I had to make a choice between the other three and the BT-99. I'd have ONLY the BT-99. It shoots like it had eyes of its own...priceless!!

Thumbs up..Stan

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Everyone should have an old BT in the safe. Then you won't be one of those guys that says, I used to have one of those, but I sold it, and wish I never did.
    Mark

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Just Buy it you wont regret it!I look for them all time for right price cant be beat.

Jerry

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow! I really liked the bt-99 I got for $75 from the homeless guy. Well, I tossed in a refrigerator packing box too. Thought he could use it. Looked funny sticking out of the ElDorado convertible I must say.

Yep, good deals are out there, hope you got one too!

6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Each time I get ready to "thin the herd" I think about selling one of the BT99s (72 34" and 73 32"), my stomach jumps a little and I have to keep them just like they are.

Larry

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Just sold my 3rd 1972 BT-99. I shot my first 25 with one, and seem to be drawn to them every once in a while. This last one had a release, and I could shoot it just as good as my pull, KS-5. They are great classic trap guns that everyone seems to be able to shoot right out of the box. Problem is they are light. You need to put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock or as mentioned above, attach one to the barrel. Because these older classics are hard to find in original, excellent condition I would rather install it in the stock bolt hole. I remember when I was young and poor, shooting my hunting 870 model, how I envied the guy shooting one on our trap team, and always liked the way they looked. They are very comfotable in your hands also. I would advise you to buy it. Jon

8. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

Doug: JUST DO IT! Take the leap. I have never regretted buying one for me or one for the wife one for the son.... If I seem to be in a rut, I pull out the 99 and get back on track. Tim

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Doug go for it!!..You will find after time that the 99 will take you to a new level that would be more difficult with a sporting gun...besides..every guy needs to have at least one other good backup..right???; )

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks all,and especially Calvin.As I told my wife,hey,now I'll have one for singles and one for doubles.

Hope to see you at Oxford sometime.

Doug H.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Not sure I agree that there is much interest in the BT99s any more unless they can be bught very cheap---I bought a 1983 99 with tubes and release trigger 32" bbl in 99% condition---Paid $1,200.00---I bought it because I always wanted one but it didn't fit my sight pic---I will say that it is a very nice shooter and puffs tgts---I hated to cut stock for a adj comb and put it out F/S on TSs for $995.00 del----Never got a bite so I will keep it and probably put a comb on it---After I bought it I found that there is two down sides to the gun----One is that it has a release trigger and the 32" bbl---So with the above info you can see that they are not much in demand----JMO---George@SJB

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

George,

I almost bit on yours.The ONLY reason I didn't was the price of this one.As I said in original post,I wouldn't post price because I didn't want to hurt anyones expectations of selling theirs do to the low price of this one.There have actually been a few BT's on this site I really wanted,but since this friend offered me the deal to shoot it(all summer if I want) and not worry about the buying until I was sure.There was a particuliar Zoli I've tire kicked until I was embarressed how long I pestered the fella about that also was in my sights.I think this one,with the free trial will satisfy my urging to buy for a bit,Thanks for comments all,I know this gun is mine,,LMAO,,I'll be paying him soon,as long as the scores continue and especially if I can start running the targets again.

Doug H.

P.S.,,,The snake offer still stands though.LMAO

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Longer barrel guns are the current fashion, which keeps the price low on shorter barrel guns. 34" BTs are moving around here, but more around $600-$800. Be glad you don't have a 26" 12 gauge O/U. They are not in vogue. Mark

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Mark---I have a 26" superposed and killed a-lot of stuff with it---That gun will be with me till the end---George

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Unloader---Good luck with that make offer stuff----I tried it several times and got a-lot of flack and without some pics also---You may have better result tho---George@SJB

16. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Just bought a CG Maxum trap and was thinking I would sell my BT-99 Plus since I won't need it. However, after reading all this, I think I'll hang on to it a while longer. Everyone needs a back-up, Right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.