1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99, Tight trigger...once in a while???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Older BT-99...super clean gun, looks new.

I just bought it at a local gun show. It had a release trigger on it. I removed the hook and made it a pull trigger again...easy to do ...and easy to reinstall should I wish to.

Cleaned it and lubed it while I was in there...not that it needed it. It looked new and clean inside.

I have only shot 4 boxes of shells thru it...at the trap club. A couple of boxes in the woods prior to that.

Never noticed till I got on the line with other shooters...but 3 or 4 times during those 4 boxes of shells, the trigger was harder to pull. Enough so that I missed the target....pulled off the target by the time I squeezed hard enough to fire.

It's not real hard ...just hard enough that it bumfuzzels you...by then it's to late and you've spoiled the shot.

Any advice on what I need to do here??? I really bummed about this because I still shot a 23 and the rest 22's first time out....with only 3 real misses in 4 boxes. The rest were trigger pull problems. Go figgure...get a gun that is almost a natural fit ...and the trigger won't pull right!!!

Any help appreciated..

Thanks...Stan

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sure it's not a flinch?

3. StansCustoms

I guess that could be right. I'm no authority, but I scrutinized it very closely while I had the stock off, and there were no file marks or burnished areas that I could see.

I think that due to the light uniform grey appearance of the metal in that area ...it would have been visible. But as I said ..I am no authority..

Looks like it would be an issue all the time if that were the case too...and it only happens once in a while???

Are there any Browning folks out there that are very familar with a release trigger on a BT-99...

Installation and removal specifically...?

Stan

4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

My son had a bt99-plus that had a similar problem. Took it to the "smith" and he could not pin point the problem. Finally took it to an older gent familar with bt99's. He replaced the "horse shoe" shaped part that is part of the hammer cocking process and that solved the problem. Before he replaced the part, he checked the trigger pull, most times it was around 3 1/2 lbs, occasionally it went to almost 7 lbs. The part did not appear to be visibly worn, but evidently had enough wear to bind on occasion.
    This may not be the problem with your gun but its something to consider. Hope it helps.

5. StansCustoms

Barry C. Roach...Quote: "Sure it's not a flinch?"

I don't think so...but I guess anything is possible. A flinch means the inability to pull the trigger I think?. If it's anything like that...it would be the inability to pull the trigger hard enough (initially)?? Once in a while...

There is one thing that would help maybe...if the trigger was thicker or farther forward...that might help, there is a little slack before it gets to trigger resistance. I would perfer it if the trigger sat a little farther forward. I really dont think that anything out of the ordinary though...just would fit my hand slightly better..

Stan...

6. StansCustoms

Arvo11 Quote:

My son had a bt99-plus that had a similar problem. Took it to the "smith" and he could not pin point the problem. Finally took it to an older gent familar with bt99's. He replaced the "horse shoe" shaped part that is part of the hammer cocking process and that solved the problem. Before he replaced the part, he checked the trigger pull, most times it was around 3 1/2 lbs, occasionally it went to almost 7 lbs. The part did not appear to be visibly worn, but evidently had enough wear to bind on occasion. This may not be the problem with your gun but its something to consider. Hope it helps.

Now were talkin'

That sounds exactly like what this gun is doing!! ...unless I'm loosing my mind, flinching, or something else weird.

I'm going to shoot again tomorrow...paying special attention to see if it "could possibly" be me..?

I'm also thinking about doing something to the trigger so I can pull it harder, easier, than when it's so close to my hand. Maybe I'm running out of travel or something too? Do they make something that could be clipped on the trigger to extend it forward?

Oh yea, that does help..thanks! Likely the problem too! Just got the gun though...I'd like to shoot it alittle before I have to send it off somewhere to get it fixed...not that I have a clue who is a good trigger repairman anyway.

Stan...

7. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Stan, I talked to my son earlier. He said the part that the gent replaced in his gun was called "a locking bolt" , looks like a square horse shoe. Go to brownings website and look at the exploded view of a bt99. I was wrong about it being part of the cocking system. It is the piece that locks the barrel in place when you close the gun. Again, I don't know if this would fix your problem, but the problem doe's sound similar.
    Good luck with it.

8. StansCustoms

Thanks Arvo 11..

I looked at that piece...on a parts blow up(well sorta blown up, still can't see it too well).

Thanks for asking your son...our kids have good memories don't they!

Do you (or son) know what the locking bolt would do that would change the trigger pressure? Maybe the gunsmith told one of you. I'm curious ...

I think I can change out the part easily enough...I'm a mechanic by trade and have done a lot of very intricate work as well as having a well equipped facility.

What your gun was doing sounds so much like what mine is doing...I believe it's worth a gamble to try that fix...even if I don't know how it changes trigger pull...

Maybe I'll understand it better when I get the part in hand and get the assembly disassembled.

Thanks... Stan

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I hope you don't have a flinch. Mechanically, I really don't know that much about the 99 trigger. I'd check the mechanics suggested above before worrying about the flinch.

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

It doesn't make any sense that the locking bolt would cause this problem. It has absolutely noting to do with the trigger. Now, the Trigger Safety might cause this.

The right guy to talk to is Doug Braker. That's his link above. He is an expert at the BT-99 and has repaired many of them.

Also, realize that not all release triggers are the same. Sometimes it's not as simple as removing the hook to make it a pull trigger again. Even if it is, often the trigger pull is then too light.

Who made that release?

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It could be a broken main spring or trigger spring. Make sure you have the BT-99 service manual. They are about $10.00 on E-Bay.

Good luck

Wayne

12. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

If you want to move the trigger forward, try a trigger shoe. It will move the face of the trigger forward and also give more area for your finger on the trigger.

13. StansCustoms

Rastoff Quote:
    It doesn't make any sense that the locking bolt would cause this problem. It has absolutely noting to do with the trigger. Now, the Trigger Safety might cause this.

The right guy to talk to is Doug Braker. That's his link above. He is an expert at the BT-99 and has repaired many of them.

Also, realize that not all release triggers are the same. Sometimes it's not as simple as removing the hook to make it a pull trigger again. Even if it is, often the trigger pull is then too light.

Who made that release?

I don't know who made the release...and there is nothing readable on any of the parts. There was part of the front end of some stamped lettering visible..on one of the parts still in the gun ...but not a brand name.

I tried to call Mr. Braker...got a recording stating he wouldn't be available till the 28th.

I was asking what bearing the locking bolt could have on trigger pull...still am waiting on a reply if the answer is known. Seems strange to me too...but I sure can't say that it isn't the problem either. Replacing it evidently fixed a gun with identical problems.

On a BT-999 there is no trigger safety of any kind...so that can't be the problem.

Thanks ...Stan...

14. StansCustoms

Hello 687_SP_II

Where can you get a trigger shoe...?

Thanks..Stan

15. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Wayneo,

I think they are talking about the block that prevents you from pulling the trigger while the tang is in the release position. It is possible that it could be binding when the gun is closed if the tang is too far to the right

Robert

16. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Midwest Gun Works have trigger shoes for Brownings.

17. StansCustoms

Thank you sir..(trigger shoe)

Stan...

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

RWT and Rastoff, you guys are right, that little piece under the top lever dog is called a trigger safety.

I still think he has a broken spring.

Wayne

19. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Call Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequa, Oklahoma. Dean will probably diagnose your problem over the phone. Nice people and are the Browning studs in my area. Jack

20. wlc

wlc Member

I'll second Skeet's. My wife had a problem with her BT-99 and I called Dean. He correctly diagnosed it over the phone and told me how to fix it myself. If I ever need Browning work done it will go to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bt 99 pull trigger
bt 99 tight trigger once in a while
bt-99 gun tight trigger flinch
tigger once in a while
trigger safty bt-99

whats the triger pull on bt 99 plus