1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Through pad adj. comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Go Illini, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Illini

Go Illini TS Member

Can stock be cut? How difficult is it to put a different recoil pad on these stocks? Can a counter-coil or like recoil reducer be mounted? Thank for any help. KT

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Get hold of Ken Rucker on this site. He can give you the skinny on what can be done on the newer Browning adj comb stocks. He also does excelent work if you decide to have something done

Bob W

3. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I had a NIB XT with the factory adj comb and wanted to put a Gra-coil on it. Keith Heeg told me he would not do it, so I traded the gun for a NIB Monte Carlo stocked XT and a Browning case, and Keith fixed me right up.

4. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Ken Rucker converted my Browning XT stock and returned it to me on Thursday before the Toepperwein shoot at the SAGC. I am still relearning how to shoot the gun. He does a first-class conversion and you will not regret working with Ken.

5. gasman03

gasman03 Member

First thing you need to do is get rid of the factory comb hardware and then your troubles are over. You will have 100% better hardware to work with and 100% better hardware to adjust.

Corey

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    KT - Yes, the stock can be cut. The way I have seen it done (and done it) is to remove the adjustment rod under the comb and cut the stock as usual, then cut the hex end (recoil pad end) off of the rod by the same amount. You then have to use a hacksaw to cut a slot into the end of the rod so that you can still turn the rod. From then on you adjust the comb with a slot screwdriver instead of an allen wrench. As far as replacing the pad, this too should be no problem, you just have to put a hole thru that pad in the right place. As far as I know, this is done all the time by various gunsmiths and is nobody's exclusive secret. As far as a countercoil type of reducer, I am not sure because we have to replace the entire comb hardware to install ours (ours comes only with a sliding comb). Off of the top of my head, it seems like it would probably be possible, just a bit more work. It may depend on how much you have to cut off the stock though in order to get your correct LOP with the countercoil installed. Hope this helps. Good luck! Mike

7. Go Illini

Go Illini TS Member

Thanks guys KT

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be done and it works well. Here is a pic of my BT99, Browning original 4-way comb and Gracoil installed by Gracoil.

RM
    [​IMG]

9. coling

coling Member

My BT99 has the original Browning adjustable comb hardware and a Gracoil. I had the stock cut to reduce the length of pull to 13 3/4" with the Gracoil all the way in. Karl McKnight (Salt Lake City) did the work and cut the top slide of the Gracoil by about 1/2" to make it work. I think the maximum extension of the Gracoil will be around 14 1/4" when fully extended.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.