1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Special Steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charkat1, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

My husband just bought me a used BT-99 Special Steel, single barrel trap gun. The gun is in almost unfired, condition. We had to call Browning to date the gun because the serial number didn't match the example/key on their website. After looking through three books their customer service representative told us it was made in 1973. I've tried to find out what the "special steel" designation means by researching it on the web to no avail. Does it mean you can use steel shot with the barrel or is it a hardness designation? I can't wait to shoot the gun.
    Thank you in advance.

Charlene

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

It is a common stamping on older gun barrels sounds like you have a very nice gun. The special steel refers to the quality of material and you should NOT shoot steel shot through one of the old full choke barrels as it has a good possibility of bulging the choke area. Steel shot does not compress like lead so most guns for steel shot have more open chokes for that reason. Some people have a different view saying that the shot is small 8 or 7 1/2 and it will work but I would not take the chance if I was you.

Buddy

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I wouldnt shoot steel in it until it is an absolute must.The gun was designed for lead, the special steel marking on the side is to designate the formula of the comprised steel used to make the barrels.

If it is in that great of condition enjoy it for years to come and shoot well!!

Jerry

4. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Old One Eye: Thanks so much for your response. I truly appreciate it and will make note about not using steel shot with this gun. Last gun club meeting their was some discussion about the possible mandate in future of using non-lead on the trap and skeet fields. Won't cross that bridge until I come to it.

Charlene

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Charlene- The term "Special Steel" simply means that the gun was designed so that you will shoot 25X25 the first time you shoot it. That will be followed by many others.

Pat Ireland

6. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Jerry, thanks for your input as well. My husband thinks that when the day comes that we have to shoot steel we'll both have our gun barrels cut to accept removable chokes. He has a Barretta 303.

Pat, thanks for the sentiment. As Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof said, "From your mouth to God's ears.!"

Charlene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1973 browning bt99 special
browning bt 99 leo special

browning bt 99 special steel

browning bt 99 steel
browning bt99 special
bt 99 special steel
bt-99 special steel
where to find serial number on browning special steel